Sign in to follow this  
fast x

Advice on smoke help???

Hi guys,

the thing is that when i start the car its fine when i run it is fine but the thing is that when i push it a bit and i change gears it puff a bit of blue smoke!!!

any advise would be apresiated. and this is on a vr6 ok.

a dont know it be the valve seals or something along those lines anyways.

also how much im looking at to get this done?

Oh dear.....not another one!

Question 1, what mileage are you at?

Question 2, how much oil is it using? Give me a rough estimate per 1000 miles.

Question 3, what grade of oil are using? Anything less than 10/40W and the VR will spit it out of the exhaust and engine seals.

And now onto prices.

I paid £800 to have my head rebuilt and all of the chain parts replaced + a clutch, and that includes labour. That's from Stealth Racing in Southam, Warwickshire. Use that as your ball park for a head and chain job. Mine was never a smoker to begin with but it was just starting to consume a wee bit at 93K and I had the head done during the chain job for preventative maintanence reasons.

If you're block is worn, and I sincerely hope it isn't, it will cost you big time. A ball park figure for a complete block and head build is around £2500.

The VR engine is not a smoker when all is good. So if there is any doubt, there is no doubt. Start saving :cry:

K

(That price I imagine doesn't take into account the fact that Kev had already paid for the clutch job a while back, so this was under warranty cos of juddering problems - unless Vince just recently dropped his prices!)

ok the millage is 125,000 the oil that im using is vw quantum the gold one fully sym!!!! but it dos not comsume that much of oil

so i dont know wot this could be.?

any more sugesstions?

thanks guys!!!!

Yeah sorry, I should have mentioned my clutch was effectivley free, and I also notice I miss words out of my sentences when I've been drinking too many Vodka/Redbulls!

£1300 is the figure for Clutch, chains and a head rebuild. It's money well spent in my humble one.

125K....nothing too drastic for a VR and Quantum Gold is too thin for a VR of that mileage. Switch to Quantum Silver and you may find your smoking issues subside.

Try the thicker oil first and see how you get on.

K

ok cheers kev for all the advice!! im going to try it!!! ill check the gold one and is 5/40w so it migth just be that!!!

nice one mate!!!

Yeah VRs need a minimum viscosity of 10/40W really, but young engines can get away with Quantum gold. If you're feeling flush, treating it to Mobil 1 15/50W motorsport is a good oil.

K