deamon90002004

speedo issue

hey all, im having issue with my speedo cable on my 91 g60, i don't know why as it was fine the day before doing about 200+ miles, but all of a sudden my speedo has started doing it's own thing, i could be doing 30 and it randomly jumps to 40 then drops again, i accelerate, it wont move then all of a sudden it jumps to like 80, i was on the a38 on the way home, getting onto the slip road at about 30, i put my foot down and next thing i was doing 100 then dropped to 60 then bounced up when i hit 70

only work i've had done recently is tyres (same size), tracking and fitted a rieger front spoiler, i had a similar thing happen on my golf when i swapped the dials round (2nd hand ones cos i wanted a rev counter)

any ideas?

Might be the speed sensor on the gear box. Make sure it's screwed in properly and hasn't come loose. I had a similar thing with mine and just whacked in a new one but I remember the old one wasn't in properly which wouldn't have helped...

Of course, you may also actually need a new one too!

I just tried something on my way home, while om moving i press the clutch to the floor and rev my engine at say 40mph i accelerate and next thing im doing 80 and i let go of the clutch and im doing 40 again, could it be samething?