Faisal Hamed

Car won't idle at standstill

Those of you that have seen my other posts will know the bonnet cable has snapped and the battery is now flat.

The Corrado was purchased in November but we were waiting to sell the old car, I was starting the Corrado every week or so and taking it round the block until Xmas day when it failed to start and the bonnet wouldn't open.

The mechanic has been over and we've tried all sorts and basically it needs to go on a ramp. So we bought one of those chargers that plugs into the cigarette lighter and hey presto after 30 mins or so on charge with another car it started!!,,

So we took it for a spin, after half a mile we dropped the car into neutral and it turned off and couldn't hold its revs but it was fine before that for the first half a mile.

Now it just about starts but can't hold its revs unless I have my foot on the accelerator..., it kind of starts and then doesn't on some occasions.

Is the idling issue linked to a dead battery that needs a good charge or is there another issue, bearing in mind I can't open the bonnet.

Apologies for referring to 'we', but by that i mean me and brother lol.

I must admit that half mile when the car drove like a dream put a huge smile on our faces. Someone help, what is wrong with the car.....

Most likely going to be the ISV. It always is on 2.0 16v's that won't idle! You can try removing it and giving it a good blast of carb cleaner.. but you'll most likely need to buy a new or good used one.

It most likely is ISV. Battled the same problem not long ago. You may want to have a look in my thread: http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=72057&page=3&highlight=lucasrado+isv .

In the end a new ISV did the job and problem is no more. Some people say it may be a split air hose, etc... but ISV is the easiest to check/replace. There are dozens of ISV post on this forum so if you're still stuck try searching, ie: lots os similar posts

Hmm, I'm not ruling the ISV out but I will be very surprised if it is this.

It's always idled perfectly, in fact it was fine just today.

It was bizzare I put it into neutral to roll down the hill and since then it's played up. Up until that point it idled fine, no it just turns off and can't hold it's revs.

I've had a couple of mk2 Gtis in the past raft have had ISV issues and the rev counter bounces around and you can get around it by gently easing off the accelerator, but not on this corrado, even if you ease off ever so gently it just stalls and then won't start for ages????

Worth checking if the 2 small pipes that go from the metering head to the throttle body(or thereabouts) are connected........i remember my old valver not being well and this was the problem. Well one of them lol Also check the plug and wiring around the throttle potentiometer(throttle position switch)

Worth checking if the 2 small pipes that go from the metering head to the throttle body(or thereabouts) are connected........i remember my old valver not being well and this was the problem. Well one of them lol Also check the plug and wiring around the throttle potentiometer(throttle position switch)

Nothing under the bonnet has been touched as it doesn't open at the moment.

Is it possible that a really low battery means it can't hold its revs?

The ISV problem can just start, and it can also be intermittent as to when it occurs. Honestly I owned a 2.0 16v for like 5 years and had a troublesome ISV for about 6 months of that ownership.. just started out of the blue and would sometimes happen, and sometimes wouldn't. New ISV and it never happened again - always idled perfectly.

Of course it's entirely possible it's not the ISV, but honestly for what it costs to get a known good working one (usually about £20) or even just to take yours off and give it a clean (which often helps and is like a 20 minute job tops) then it's worth trying.

Hmm, I'm not ruling the ISV out but I will be very surprised if it is this.

It's always idled perfectly, in fact it was fine just today.

It was bizzare I put it into neutral to roll down the hill and since then it's played up. Up until that point it idled fine, no it just turns off and can't hold it's revs.

I've had a couple of mk2 Gtis in the past raft have had ISV issues and the rev counter bounces around and you can get around it by gently easing off the accelerator, but not on this corrado, even if you ease off ever so gently it just stalls and then won't start for ages????

As Jim says, it's more than likely it's the isv as it's a very common problem. Firstly though you need to get the bonnet open as without seeing it could be anything and just because you haven't been under there doesn't mean something hasn't come loose

The ISV problem can just start, and it can also be intermittent as to when it occurs. Honestly I owned a 2.0 16v for like 5 years and had a troublesome ISV for about 6 months of that ownership.. just started out of the blue and would sometimes happen, and sometimes wouldn't. New ISV and it never happened again - always idled perfectly.

Of course it's entirely possible it's not the ISV, but honestly for what it costs to get a known good working one (usually about £20) or even just to take yours off and give it a clean (which often helps and is like a 20 minute job tops) then it's worth trying.

Ok Jim

Fair advice. I've just bought one of the chap above.

Desperate to get it running now lol.

Can't just stare at it anymore !!

As long as we can get it started again it's going into the garage on Friday to put it on the ramp and get the bonnet open.

Will try charging it for longer before attempting to start this time...

Ok. Came home from work it started on the button. So I thought I would let it run for 10/15 mins or so to charge it up.

But it turned off on its own after 5 minutes and now when re starting it can't hold it's revs again.

It's a Shame I can't get the bonnet up. Catch 22 is I can't drive it to the garage as it will only switch off!

Does it keep running if you rev it? Or does it just cut out regardless of the revs?

I'm going to suggest MAF has failed. Sounds the same as the issues I was having with my old 12v lump and that was MAF in the end

Yeah, the hotwire type on the OBD1 cars are prone to failure. Once you get the bonnet up give all the connectors and the hotwire itself a spray with some contact cleaner to see if that helps.

Could also be due to the flat battery - the ecu learns the response of the isv and controls it accordingly so if the battery went completely this learning is lost. My vr did a similar thing when I changed the battery and then got better with time/miles, although eventually I still replaced the isv to correct the occasional stall that was still occurring....

Yeah, the hotwire type on the OBD1 cars are prone to failure. Once you get the bonnet up give all the connectors and the hotwire itself a spray with some contact cleaner to see if that helps.

It's a 2.0 16v mate :)

I still reckon ISV. I was thinking Lambda sensor when you said it runs ok for first five minutes then starts to go lumpy. But the fact you can keep it running by revving it rules that out in my mind.