Hofmiester

Coolant expansion tank (vr6)

Anyone know if this is still available? Can't find anything online. Removed mine during my heater matrix swap and I may as well put a nice new one in as it's quite discoloured.

Mk4 isn't really a straight fit, you need to open up the screw holes to get them to fit.

+ fit the newer electrical connector right? is there any real benefit with the mk4 one? different type of plastic? clearer view of the coolant? , being able to visibly see fresh coolant makes a big difference imo , deffinalty going to be doing something with mine

I only changed mine over as the stock one had tarnished over and I couldn't get it clean enough for my liking. I also randomly had a brand spanking new mk4 In the garage I just fitted instead. Yeah you also need to swap the plugs over. It looks nicer so I'm happy!

sounds good to me! im looking at them now on ebay and theres loads of mk4 ones available ,the coolant hoses line up ok? the wiring plug looks like it sticks out awkwardly though, like rather then being tucked away towards the back it sticks out towards the engine, it look ok when installed? , cheers

The plug does stick forward at approx 8 o'clock position, it doesn't bother me too much but I know what you are saying.

I think I paid less than £20 for my expansion bottle, I used to have a mk4 that would give me coolant level warning randomly and I bought this to fix that but it turns out it was a mk4 foible that when it was cold, you sometimes got coolant warnings on start up even though nothing was wrong! It stayed in the garage as a spare and found it's way onto my skip!

Just had mine changed as it was leaking from the seam - only problem is now all the rest of the plastics in the bay look very tired and dirty in comparison! Worth doing though just for ease of coolant level checking!

The caps dont take he-man strength to remove on the mk4 tanks. Good mod!

Since replacing mine with a new standard one I find you dont need he-man strength

Swapped mine start of last year to a new original VAG item and the difference it makes to tidying a bay up is huge i reckon. Work the price tag IMO.

IMG_3206_zps81caecf2.jpg

IMG_3207_zps2d84ceae.jpg

Makes checking coolant level a damn sight easier too, ;)

16V one is about half the price as well I think!!

Ian.

That's what I like to hear! I'll check at lunchtime.

got my mk4 coolant bottle today, not sure if theres a problem with the cap but it doesn't take much pressure to make the cap valve blow by , I can blow it through just by using my lungs with little effort , is that normal?

just put it in a sink of warm water and blown through the bottom hose connection while blocking the top hose connection with my finger and its not only leaking through the overflow/pressure relief valve but also slightly from the cap itself , so buy cheap buy twice!! one day I will learn!!