VR6 Gar

Who runs a snap off boss?

Just bought a Momo wheel from the classifieds and am thinking of getting a snap off boss for added security.

Who runs one and does it adversely affect the driving position by pushing the wheel out too far?

Thinking of getting a 60mm driftworks one as they have very good reviews unlike the cheap ebay ones and are not too badly priced at £70.

http://www.driftworks.com/driftworks-60mm-race-quick-release-steering-spacer.html

I used to run one on my G60. I don't have spade like hands so the stalks were only just on my finger tips. That was with a kit that added an extra inch of depth.

It was good as I only had on street parking at the time so I did feel the security of the car was improved, but I had to put up with the 'odd' looks from people as I carried my steering wheel down the road into the house. It was sturdy too so there was no issue whilst driving the car.

The only negatives were that my insurance company didn't accept that it was an improvement on the cars security (bizzare I know)and that the specific kit I used made fitting a horn button impossible with my OMP trecento wheel as the horn body was too deep.

I have been considering selling it so I could take some pics if you like...

Troy

I'll have to find the horn connecting parts, it's a little worn and a few of the threads are a little on the loose side but like I said it was solid on my car.

py9u8epy.jpg

ebu5ygar.jpg

4e9a9e3u.jpg

edagetyv.jpg

Seen both of those and imagine they are of questionable quality at that price.

Was more looking for peoples opinions on how they affect the driving position.

One was on my car when I bought it - horn never worked right despite much fiddling. Ditched it for an OEM wheel and was much happier!

The two huge bolts are standard, you pull both at once to release the wheel. I didn't find it affected the driving position much - you can always move the seat or adjust the column - but I found the slight wobble it introduced quite disconcerting and didn't miss it when it was gone.

Stone

I used to run one of the original Snap-Off bosses on my MKII years ago and it was excellent - very well engineered, no play whatsoever and not too thick either. I would fit one to my Corrado if I could get one as, although I know if someone professional really wants the car you won't stop them, the extra security of having it in the garage with the steering on full lock, steering lock engaged and wheel removed, along with the alarm and immobiliser, is going to make their life as difficult as possible.

If you do go down this route make sure you're very careful with it; there was a nasty accident at the last Bruntingthorpe Inters where a car on the strip went into the crowd after the dope hadn't fitted his quick release steering wheel properly...

I used to run a snap off wheel on my old 16v. The car was parked on the street in London.

I found that people just kept breaking my door locks (happened twice, two locations) and then pulling the back seats down assuming the wheel was in the boot, which to be honest is what you'll end up doing fairly often.

You'd be better off fitting a secret isolation switch somewhere to cut power to the fuel pump. Much cheaper!

Having fitted the wheel today I had a play about with its distance from the column and I don't think I would actually like it any closer so think I will leave it as is.

The car already has an alarm and imob and I live in a nice area with a gravel drive, so would hear anyone trying to steal it as i am a light sleeper. Plus its kept under a cover.

If I did get one it would have to be a 25mm version.