Sign in to follow this  
randal

Symptoms of a dodgy Clutch slave cyl?

I've been noticing a juddering when pulling away in 1st recently, there's enough throttle but it still does it. Is this the beginnings of a knackered slave cyl? I checked the top the gearbox, and there isn't any fluid or anything. Any suggestions y'all?

Thanks in advance

randal

well when my slave cyl went the simptoms i had was that u had to press the clucth pedal a few time before you could engage or disengage :(

The only way to tell if its leaking is to take the cyl ou with the two screews on wither side and check otherwise its very hard to tell :( and on mine it was so bad that ive had to take the gearbox off to clean the inside out as the realise bearing was starting to stick due to all the crap in there :(

just my 2p' worth

Ah pants, don't fancy dropping the gearbox out. How much of a job is removing the slave cyl? I guess the system needs a good bleeding obviously,but after that is it just a case of unblot/bolt ?

Cheers

randal

Judder is usually more to do with the clutch or engine mounts, I think.

Or at least, my VR was juddering very slightly (and has done ever since I got it), which has been removed completely by fitting a new clutch.

Think the clutch itself is OK, but mounts eh? Hmmm..... Wait a minute Kev, this isn't leading up to a sales speech is it?? :lol :lol: :lol:

OK, have to bang them on the list for when it floats down to JMR... Yay. Cheers for the tips all.

Ta

randal

I had this juddering just before my clutch went :( the slave cyinder had already been replaced on mine too.

well when my slave cyl went the simptoms i had was that u had to press the clucth pedal a few time before you could engage or disengage :(

The only way to tell if its leaking is to take the cyl ou with the two screews on wither side and check otherwise its very hard to tell :( and on mine it was so bad that ive had to take the gearbox off to clean the inside out as the realise bearing was starting to stick due to all the crap in there :(

just my 2p' worth

What symptoms did you get with a sticky release bearing? I get a crunch sound a few seconds after pulling away, if the car's been stood a few hours or even only 15 minutes!, sounds like something sticking then releasing, release bearing maybe? Recently replaced a leaky slave cylinder too. Cheers Pal.

What symptoms did you get with a sticky release bearing? I get a crunch sound a few seconds after pulling away, if the car's been stood a few hours or even only 15 minutes!, sounds like something sticking then releasing, release bearing maybe? Recently replaced a leaky slave cylinder too. Cheers Pal.

This noise is the ABS self-test.

Read your Corrado manual! ;)

Think the clutch itself is OK, but mounts eh? Hmmm..... Wait a minute Kev, this isn't leading up to a sales speech is it?? :lol :lol: :lol:

He he, get some Vibratechnics on there :lol:

This noise is the ABS self-test.

Read your Corrado manual! ;)[/quote:20d11]

Cheers! Restarted the car last night on the way home, and sure enough it did it again when pulling away. Nobody else was sure what the noise was either!

It is an annoying noise though, not very cool when pulling out of the pub car park ;)

but at least I can stop worrying about it :)

Checked my Jan '92 Manual again and there is no mention of this noise in the ABS/braking section, maybe it was only added to the later manuals?

Possibly, it's definitely there in my '95 manual. I can't remember which section it's in though. It shouldn't be very loud - certainly not really audible over the engine and stuff, it's just that you can feel it through the pedals when you're inside the car.

It is quite loud, very noticeable from inside of the car anyway, and thats even with a loud exhaust! Can feel it through the pedals slightly.