Sign in to follow this  
DEL VR6

anyone else got a Squeaky Rear Spoiler ??

Does anyones boot spoiler squeak?

Mine does, especially after i have washed the car, and to cure it i squirt a bit of WD40 on the pole things that come up and go back down, and it cures it in the short term, but as you know, a tiny squirt of this stuff goes all over the place... like all over the glass and paintwork etc.

Any idea what a long term solution to this could be?

DO NOT USE WD40 ON IT! WD40 is sooo thin it'll wash off any grease/oil that's on the mechanism and will cause it to bind up and blow the fuse... :|

Open up the boot, remove the cover on the inside of the lid, and open up the mechanism and spray it with white grease...

White grease contains PTFE which will coat the moving parts with a nice low friction material which will help the mechanism move, not hinder it like WD eventually does... :|

I tried a thin spray oil when i got the car and it sorted the problem for about a year then this time i used talcum powder which seems to be doing the job!

:shock: Talcum Powder? :shock:

How do you get talcum powder to stop it squeaking? I'm impressed! And how do you get it down the little gap without getting it everywhere?

didnt realise that you shouldn't use WD!! I have always done it :(

Will get some of the white grease - can it be bought from Halfords?

Also - is it good for the sunroof runners/lifters?

thats a good point about the sunroof, cos when i put the alarm on and the sunroof closes, it makes a nasty juddery type sound and it doesnt do much for the 'pose' value - just kidding - but seriously, it doesnt look right when it closes like that. White grease the best thing for it?

yup... white grease is EXCELLENT for sunroofs too... 8)

Most decent motor parts stores sell white grease in a spray can for a reasonable amount... 8)

It's also good for door hinges too... 8)

I've used silicon grease, kinda like vaseline on the rubber section and lubed the two rods that attach the spoiler, works well and no problems since then.

I recently opened my boot to find a load of dried white grease, from what I assume was the spoiler, dumped all along the lip of the boot.. since then i've noticed my spoiler is rather noisy for the last few centimetres when closing up.

Think its time to go get some of this stuff and get the spoiler regreased!

And I was just going to do a search for what kind of grease I should use on my spolier.

Hopefully all my sunroof needs is some grease and it will slide again. But then again it tils and I've got AC, so I'm not bothered if it doesn't work :D

I bought a can of this white spray grease. Its great stuff. Comes flying out, and goes every-bloody-where. I havent yet tried it on the VR, but will try in the next few days (Been using the Karmann Ghia while the sun has been shining)

Halfords sell it.

I've placed my order with my spanner monkey :lol:

I buy him tools, he picks up my parts and fits them for me :D