Alty

Any ideas on this bracket ?

xqmees.jpg

2j87bm.jpg

4uv1mx.jpg

As you can see on the first picture part of the metal bracket is missing by the nut! Is this a replaceable bracket ?

On the second and third picture where the metal hose that comes out of the rubber one to the right hand side doesn't line up and couldn't get it to line up is this important.... ? :S

looks like the bracket for the alternator and aircon pump. These come up for sale so perhaps best to check 'cars for breaking' or items for sale.

Is there definitely metal missing? It's possible that that's the way the bracket was made.

Have you had the bracket off or has something happened to make you look in this area?

Thanks Fla for information.

Diarmaid16, Its definitely broken, I had the car on a ramp putting in my new lightened flywheel clutch and CTN gearbox :D and noticed it but i have been getting some squyilling from what i beleive to be a loose steering belt but cant get anymore tension behind it so thought i'd look around that area.... ?

If it's broken you should replace to start with anyway. As fla said, check the for sale/breaking threads or put up a wanted ad.

Ok so 2nd picture down is the alternator bracket would like to find the correct bolt for that ?

On the first picture any idea what that is by the nut with the bit of bracket missing? Could it be something to do with the power steering ?

Ok so 2nd picture down is the alternator bracket would like to find the correct bolt for that ?

On the first picture any idea what that is by the nut with the bit of bracket missing? Could it be something to do with the power steering ?

that's the power steering pump, the sheared off bracket end should be an elongated slot to tension the PAS belt by swinging the whole pump, various bolts need loosening off before turning the adjustment bolt that's at the bottom

looks like there's significant damage to the PAS brackets as things are not lining up correctly, usually a result of not adjusting things correctly and over-tightening some bolts

mk3 golf and Passat with the 2L 8v engines have the same PAS pump and brackets, there is some variation on some of the brackets but I think the bits you need are shared on quite a few models, I had to replace that bracket and the pump when I bought my 8v, the bracket came from a Passat and the pump from a mk3 GTI 8v

Also is it an alternator etc out kinda job or can it be done from underneath ?

alternator is easy to remove if you need to, and it does make the area a lot easier to get at (may vary from one 8v to another depending on year but it should just be a matter of loosening the bolts the alternator body pivots on and pushing down on the alt body to compress the tenisionning spring to allow the belt to slip off) , you'll also need to remove the splash guard attached to the front subframe and arch liner, not difficult, one 10mm hex head screw on the subframe and a screw up to the arch liner.

There is a bracket on the side of the sump that has 3 bolts that needs removing first, then IIRC a couple of others on the PAS pump body/bracket that need freeing off before the adjuster bolts can be screwed all the way out and removed.

none of it is difficult, just make sure you list where all the bolts go!