Alty

headlight refurb

Looking to refurb my headlights Rather than spend a fortune on new ones! The only bit I would like to replace is the reflective internals (Sorry don't know the actual name for them) Can you buy these ? Would appreciate any help finding them or names/part numbers.

Thanks Scott

nope not any more, but there was a place we found that re-silvered the plastic reflectors, but it was quite pricey, over £50 a reflector I think

whilst we are on about refurb'ing head lights......

does anyone know if it is possible to fix/replace the plastic tabs which allow the head light adjustment?

I have a friend that owns a chrome dip etc... before I sound like a idiot and ask him is there something special about the reflective coat ?

it will need to be fairly heat resistant for long duration and not attack the plastic. If he has done headlight reflectors he'll probably know about those!

whilst we are on about refurb'ing head lights......

does anyone know if it is possible to fix/replace the plastic tabs which allow the head light adjustment?

yes, you can fit new ones, not sure where they come from through, i found mine on ebay.

yes, you can fit new ones, not sure where they come from through, i found mine on ebay.

Oooo i thought i had seen something along those lines.

Can you recall your search string for the bay jim?

i had some aluminum tape we use to hold heater mats on DSM's for emissions tests. They heat up to nearly 100 degrees so figured it should be ok. Only had a few bits of the chrome off headlight so made some little patches to cover where needed and they have been fine. You cannot really see them either. Its cheap and worth a try, looks better than before. You may even be able to get some larger sheets to make complete patches i'm not sure.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/aluminium-foil-tape-1-roll-75mm-wide-by-45-meters-long-/201041225492 (bit like this)

Oooo i thought i had seen something along those lines.

Can you recall your search string for the bay jim?

It was just a guy selling one that he hadn't used. not a supplier.

I have heard sonar/solar whatever the aftermarket lights sell them as spares for their units, keep meaning to find out if they fit a standard headlight.

i had some aluminum tape we use to hold heater mats on DSM's for emissions tests. They heat up to nearly 100 degrees so figured it should be ok. Only had a few bits of the chrome off headlight so made some little patches to cover where needed and they have been fine. You cannot really see them either. Its cheap and worth a try, looks better than before. You may even be able to get some larger sheets to make complete patches i'm not sure.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/aluminium-foil-tape-1-roll-75mm-wide-by-45-meters-long-/201041225492 (bit like this)

that looks like a good idea - can it be easily moulded into the profile of the reflector without any creases? I'd be interested in seeing some pics of your lights with these stuck on. I assume it is self adhesive too?

i dont think this is a good idea

your light patern will be very poor with that aluminium tape

the only way to have it done, and make sure it is done the right way is:

1st - buy new reflectors ( reflective part inside the headlight, If it is still available, i am not sure it is)

2nd- u have to find company which can redo your old refloctors

to the same standard as new ones

but it must be Company which specialize in car headlight restoriation, only they will know how it have to be done

this is the only way to have it done in a right way

aluminium tape etc , will make your lights even worse thank u have now

i had that done to my headlights (reflector restoration), and i can say it is great result after that

Edited by tomi

It didn't effect the light pattern. I believe that glass and position of the bulb dictate that. It probably does however effect the light output. I run an uprated loom and uprated bulbs so even with the tape the output was still far better than the factory headlights and still gave a good amount of light and passed the MoT with them.

The UK mot only test the headlight for position and light pattern. We do not test LUX like some other countries.

It was a good repair for tidying them up and improving what i had to hand. I also couldn't be without lights in the car while they were away. I only replaced the units as there was a tab broken on each.

There is no denying that your solution is far better and would be ideal. Mine was just what i had at the time, cheap and done the job required.

I would like to know a company that does this resilvering process on the reflectors.

Mine a bust and would need a refurb. Maybe refurb my four other reflectors so that I have a set :)

No one?

The link I posted on the first page, and which Miles has reposted!! :)

Iv rang these guys and they gave me a rough quote with out seeing them of either £50 or £90 plus Vat (I cant remember which one). There website is down at the moment, but here their details.

The London Chroming Co Ltd

Address: 735 Old Kent Rd, London SE15 1JL

Phone:020 7639 6434