fitzy121

Track car project ..

Blimey, you're not afraid of stripping the charger apart then.

With a 68mm pulley on a standard charger set up you should be able to see nearer 14psi

Blimey, you're not afraid of stripping the charger apart then.

With a 68mm pulley on a standard charger set up you should be able to see nearer 14psi

After working for schwitzer, scania and cummins/wartsila splitting a charger holds no fear for me . To be fair they are pretty basic mechanism's just fiddly .

What sort of boost should i be seeing on a modified ported charger ? .

Their are a few pits on the contact surface of the displacer which i imagine are letting air get under the seals and its looking very worn . So i am on the lookout for a displacer that is in better condition than mine .

So while i hunt for a decent displacer ( or save for a new one ) I thought i would continue with getting the shell prepped properly .

So armed with an old joiners chisel i started stripping the sound deadening from the car . If you work fast it comes of in chips and doesn't take too long . If your are a bit too gentle it kinda peels off but leaves more behind . Found a cpl of old patches of welding that will need tidying up .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79417[/ATTACH]

A quick scrub with standard thinners ( cellulose ) and a reasonable clean floor .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79416[/ATTACH]

Also removed a few parts and keyed them up for paint . I feel a colour change coming on . It has to be a solid colour as i am sure that at some point ambition is gonna out-weigh my ability and i may end up painting it more frequently than i thought . any suggestions ??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79418[/ATTACH]

Removed the sunroof frame and made a start on welding the sunroof back into the shell .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79420[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]79419[/ATTACH]

Well i got myself a G60 which is perfect for my plans as the shell is totally solid , no welding repairs required . Which is a relief as its not my favourite job and theres enough to do with the seam welding and the cage .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77847[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]77850[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]77848[/ATTACH]

Well or so i thought . I was aware that this car had been involved in an accident at some point as it is a cat "c" . I knew that it had some repair work done to the front corners. But i wasnt expecting to have to do as much work to the front inner wings and castle rails . The previous repair was done to a reasonable standard but who ever did it, did a poor job of sealing it all and the old welds have rotted out . Its scary what seam sealer can hide ... ( fun ) . This isnt a problem as such it just slows progress while you remedy it . I took these pictures last week just after i started striping the front end out to get to the bulkhead .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79798[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]79799[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]79800[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]79801[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]79802[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]79803[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]79804[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]79805[/ATTACH]

Most of the welding forward of the bulkhead has been done , i just havnt taken any new pics for a bit . The plan over the next few days is to finish off the welding get some paint on the engine bay and make sure the seams are sealed well .

As it turned out i had a quiet afternoon . Managed to get the welding repairs finished and also seam weld the turrets inside and out , and also stitch weld the chassis legs . A good coat of primer went on ,then plenty seam sealer , then more primer . Finally put the spray gun down at 22:30 and decided to call it a day .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79820[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]79821[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]79822[/ATTACH]

Wednesday managed to get chance to lay some black in the engine bay .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79834[/ATTACH]

Had another late night at the unit today . Got the engine finished . Its a long way off being fitted yet though . So ill chuck a sheet over it and wheel it into a corner for now .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79835[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]79836[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]79837[/ATTACH]

Relaid the wiring loom baack into the engine bay and fitted some of the ancillaries to the bulkhead .With obligatory pizza break of course .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79838[/ATTACH]

Managed to get a manual steering rack off ebay for 99p ! Bargain ! . So made a start on dropping the front subframe off to get the old one out to find one of the subframe bolts spinning in the chassis leg :scratch: . So i will have to open the chassis leg up to sort this out , as it was getting close to 10pm i decided to walk away rather than throwing a tantrum . See what tomorrow brings .

Well the 99p steering rack didnt quite fit , but after some butchery and modification its spot on now . As i have removed the abs from the car i have been on the lookout for a non abs servo . Have you seen the price of these new . Cheapest i found was at gsf and they wanted £192 ,so with a new master cylinder you are knocking on the door of £250 . Bugger that ! . Got a Bias adjustable pedal box , with 2 master cylinders , remote bottles and remote adjuster £200 for the kit . Alright its not exactly as simple as just bolting OE stuff back in , but i am really impressed with what seems good value for money . I got the engine back in minus the manifolds as i still have a few fiddly things to deal with at the back of the engine .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79923[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]79924[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]79925[/ATTACH]

When i pulled the engine/gearbox out i noticed that one of the gearbox mounting lugs had snapped off . So i have fitted the spare gearbox that came with the car , heres hoping its a good un .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79926[/ATTACH]