Sign in to follow this  
NormanCoal

Enlarged throttle body

Hi all. I am now back from my hols. You can contact me on mailto:[email protected] if you have any queries.

Just to confirm a point. The 2.8 Golf and 2.9 bodies both use the same size butterfly. The Golf just looks smaller because it has a lump in it to help with it's more progressive throttle action.

Hi... . . . iv`e just poped over from the VR6Golf forum, and i am interested in this subject.

I have a OBD2 so can`t be touched, but the other half has a 2.8 golf OBD1 TB, which i have just changed to a 2.9 TB.

Does this need doing to the 2.9? as you can notice the difference straight away on the 2.9 !?

What is the stupid lump of metal for? (inside TB)

The stupid lump of metal is to make the throttle more progressive and smooth (if you're on about a lump on the spindle of the butterfly...)

The stupid lump of metal is to make the throttle more progressive and smooth (if you're on about a lump on the spindle of the butterfly...)

......ey, that`s the one 8)

Has this question been asked already - would I get any benefit from adding a modified throttle body with no other mods?? I've already had an AMD remap and K&N panel filter. AMDs rolling road recorded 213BHP and 206 lb ft torque!!

Erm - bet it didn't. Another thread, but I'll bet it *recorded* about 160bhp at the wheels, it then estimated 213bhp at the crank! :p

Must admit I was a bit surprised to get that output - but the "before" was 198bhp (???) - so that's about a 7.5% increase. I'm guessing that despite what the before and after figures are, you can still gauge a percentage increase?

What is standard at the wheels then - and will the throttle body give me anything extra??

The enlarged throttle should be used as a Schrick + 268 + throttle + Remap package imo. That's basically what I've got but the cams have yet to go in. You do notice a difference when adding the big bore throttle to the schrick, not a night and day difference but enough to make you feel the engine is benefiting from the extra air.

It's mainly in the midrange and bottom end hasn't suffered on my engine, it's stronger if anything......

K

I know your talking about an enlarged throttle body for a VR6, but would it fit a 16V? Or is it a totally different spec, size, shape and design?

My throttle body is shot, I was gonna buy a new complete standard part. Is there an alternative?

I know your talking about an enlarged throttle body for a VR6, but would it fit a 16V? Or is it a totally different spec, size, shape and design?

My throttle body is shot, I was gonna buy a new complete standard part. Is there an alternative?

AFAIK it would be a fair bit different from the valvers.............

Oh I see! That's a bit geeky for me. Not really got into all these abbreviations, I still spell out every word in a text message!!!

So, is there an alternative choice for the 16valver?

Oh I see! That's a bit geeky for me. Not really got into all these abbreviations, I still spell out every word in a text message!!!

So, is there an alternative choice for the 16valver?

YTMBAAC.

WTFAYBOA?

What The F*** Are You Banging On About :D would be my guess

smith I raised this topic few weeks ago, and you can use the throttle bodies from the audi 80/ 90 20valvers i think it is - according to guys off forum the second butterfly is marginally bigger, but flow rate gains are minimal... however am still considering it myself :wink:

YTMBAAC.

Yes There Might Be An Alternative Choice :?:

YTMBAAC.

Yes There Might Be An Alternative Choice :?:

Give that man a bone!!

I was only jesting - sorry if I confused anyone :(

I can also modify the 16 valve body to a big bore spec. I don't have them on exchange, but I can turn it around in 2-3 days.

Tom? that got me guessing until I read the answer... :?

aide, 8) do you read B3ta.com by any chance.... ;) 8) Spot on... :D

P.s. audi 80 throttle body butterflies are sooooo close to the 16V 1.8 VW unit sizes, there's pretty much no point in swapping them over... :?

do you read B3ta.com by any chance.... ;) 8) Spot on... :D

Just had a look at... looks like a Friday afternoon kinda site :D

alpina527 you have PM.

I fitted my alpina527 throttle body tonight and am well happy with the results. The difference was noticable as soon as id set off. :D

Highly recommended mod. 8)

Look up a few posts at the user names. :wink:

Its normally very easy to replace, just make sure youve got some jubilee clips handy to replace the clips on the coolant hoses and on late vr's you need a small torx bit to remove the throttle body heatshield.

Mine wasnt so easy to replace as I rounded the head on one of the bolts. :oops: :(

A quick email to alpina527 and he told me how to remove it easily. 8)