Sign in to follow this  
monVR6

Is my clutch on the way out??

Morning all. How can I definitely check if my clutch is on the way out??

Some slippage on hard acceleration, (specially uphills - the classic test), and the pedal dips if I don't drive for a couple of days (slave cylider??).

If a new one is needed, are your local clutch fitters up to the job - or do I really need to go to some-one that knows Corrados? Also, if it does need changing - are there any mods worth doing at the same time - competition clutch, quick-shift etc etc.

Thanks all - I will start saving !!

Update - local clutch place can fit a new clutch for £297.16 all-in. This might get rid of the judder I get in first on take-off - (unless that's engine mounts). More saving to do . .

It's about 3 hrs labour, and a new clutch is around £100 + VAT so you ought to be able to get the job done for around the £250 mark I'd say!

If the clutch is slipping, it's needing replacing, not much else to say there. It would be prudent to check if your timing chains are needing doing at the same time, cos otherwise that's a whole bunch of repeated labour to remove the g/box etc.

Yeah £400 sounds about right, including the clutch.

Don't let them anywhere near the chains though unless they've done them before!

VR6 clutches tend to high-spot on the flywheel side, so might be an idea to get the garage to either reface your flywheel or at least rough up the surface with some emery cloth.

Use a LUK clutch too. SACHS have got a few QA issues with their clutches at the moment.

K

Thanks all. Do I have time on my side?? I spoke to Stealth yesterday (on the ball-joint stuff) and mentioned potential clutch stuff. They can't book me in til July. I think I'd rather go there where this is expertise !

A friend drove with a slipping clutch for some time. It gets to be a bit of a liability when you find yourself unable to pull away up steep hills and stuff! But other than that, it's not going to damage anything.