Sign in to follow this  
jmk

Help - 2 alternators in less than 2 years

My C broke down on Sat due to a dead alternator. It was last replaced in Aug 02 (GSF recon) just after I bought the car when the same thing happened and I needed a tow from Manchester to London :mad: (great service from Green Flag). After looking through the paperwork that came with the car I’ve found out that it was also replaced by VW a year before.

I don’t just want to have another alternator fitted only for it to go again in 8 months, so can anyone suggest what may be wrong / what I should look at? Symptoms are:

- When the alternator was replaced in Aug 02 the garage noticed that the battery warning light wasn’t working. They replaced the alternator but suggested that it wasn’t cost effective to rectify the warning lamp.

- Car sometimes cuts out for no apparent reason; generally after engine is running for 3 miles when I approach traffic lights at the bottom of a long hill. It’s also more noticeable in winter and would happen twice / three times per month. When car was last serviced (Feb 03) the coil pack was found to be cracked and was replaced along with HT leads. It's only cut out once since and seemed to be much better.

- Sometimes the electric windows / wipers are slow when the car is first started. Seem okay once the car is driven for a hundred meters. (Assumed that the car is leaking current from somewhere.)

- Every now and again the central locking doesn’t unlock the drivers door first time round. (This may be something unrelated but remember a threat on alternators and central locking).

- The radio’s reception seems worst when the car phone is plugged in (proper Nokia hands free kit hardwired to the car). Again, could be unrelated.

It’s been to two different garages and no one has been able to trace or rectify the underlying issue.

Any suggestions?

No idea; I'll check tomorrow and let you know. Is there a recommended battery and alternator for the VR6 (it has air con and an up-rated hi-fi with amp)?

There could be a bare wire somewhere on the harness which could cause it to short out occasionaly thats the only thing I can think of that would cause a alternator to die prematurely it's usually the battery that dies if there is a power drain somewhere it should be an 065 or 075 box type and be of at least 50amp output. If the alternator has gone within a year then it would still be under guarantee from GSF they are usually pretty good if you still have the receipt for it give them a ring.

Thanks for your comments.

Garage has replaced teh alternator saying it was faulty free of charge. It may have shorted on the dip stick tube and this has been relovated slightly. Also, the warning lamp was a blown led and is being replaced.

Hopefully, this'll last more than 8 months.