Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

More problems

At the track on Thr evening after a couple of sessions my car started to cut out intermittently under a lot of load. Its was ok when driving home but I tried it out again tonight and its doing exactly the same. Its like kangaroo jumping.

Whats wrong?

when did it cut out at ~ 2k rpm??? if it did it's ya fueling system... it the mas air flow meter sencor which buggers. and only gives ya engine idle fueling and then start kangrooing if you try and go above 2k

Sounds like it could be the hall sender on the distributor giving up. Your car certainly didnt seem down on power down the straights so I wouldnt think it was the air flow meter.

yeah, I'd go with hall sender too... take the dizzy cap off and check for any oil in there... if there is, then it's time for a new dizzy which should sort the problem for good... 8)

Should the hall sender be mounted on the dizzy? There has been no oil in the dizzy cap as I have been checking it since I replaced it a week ago. Could just be a bad contact?

Car wasnt quiet as quick as those pesky VR6's though!

I think its part of the dizzy but im sure you can get a kit to replace it on the 1.8's instead of having to buy the full thing. :?

Might not be as quick as a vr but it still took me most of the straight coming out of the hairpin to get past you. :o

yeah, it's part of the dizzy... I'm pretty certain that you can get a replacement one on the 1.8 16V rather than having to replace the dizzy like on a G60... ask around at Euro GSF etc and see what they say... 8)

Car wasnt quiet as quick as those pesky VR6's though!

yip agree with Joe M about the speed of yer C.....................it certainly was giving the VR's a run for their money!

Well its definetly the hall sensor. Took the dizzy cap of and it one of the wires is now broken. Car wont fire and wont get a new one till Tues. Still its only £32 from VW.

It looks fairly easy to replace.

its only about £70 for a complete distributor..... which means new oil seals, hall sender, cap and rotor.

I still have that grilel for u too!

Well I fitted the sender tonight and the car still wouldnt start. The plugs were badly fouled with petrol so I took them out , cleaned them and tried to jump start the car. My mate said that there were puffs of blue smoke coming out the exhaust when I tried to jump the car.

Does this just sound like the plugs need replacing? I did not touch anything else. I am not a happy bunny.

Changed plugs and no difference. :mad: :mad: :mad:

What the fuck is going on!!!!!!!!!!

Just checked and there is no spark. If GSF have sent me a faulty sender unit I will be ripping balls off someone. :mad:

Woops, just check the timing and I was 180 out :oops:

D'OH! :lol:

I take it you're a happy bunny again and the car is working properly again? 8)

lol! Glad you've got it running OK then... :D 8)

Most of us have made mistakes like that in the past... some much more embarrasing than that one! ;) :lol: