Roger Blassberg

Heater blower switch

Sorry to labour the point, and just in case someone may know the answer. I took out the rotary control heater panel (see other thread) and put it all back together. Now the blower only works on no.4

Having read the Wiki on this subject it does say to first check that the dials are on in the right order and that it can lead to this problem if they are the wrong way round - I don't understand that comment, all the knob covers are identical and it's the copper contacts that control the speeds surely.

I know about the thermal fuse being the usual suspect for this problem and I'll check that out, but this dial - in - the - wrong - place stuff confuses me. It seems coincidental that the fuse would go at this particular time.

Any one know what it means?

Grateful thanks

RB

take the knobs off and then try the fan to see if it works. You should see the contacts on the speed control making contact too.

If you look on the underside of the knobs, you'll see a slight slot cutout for the fan switch - its very subtle but prevents the switch contacts lifting.

Odder and odder. Thanks Hasan. Your suggestion didn't work, but I have now determined that the intemediate speeds do work at positions BETWEEN the marked stops, so 1 works at 1.5, 2 at 2.5 etc. Obviously the thermal fuse is ok but the switch itself needs attention.

Anyone got a good switch??

Roger

I had the same issue some years back - took ages to sort out, but it was an iterative process of tweaking the contact piece in the dial to line up properly with the contacts on the heater control panel.

Also, push the connector out on the rhs of the heater panel and check its all clean and lines up properly. iirc you might need two thin screwdrivers to take it out carefully.

Edited by fla

Mine does that - worked on 4 only, then replaced the thermal fuse and now it works it works at 3 and 1.5 :lol:

You get used to it surprising fast...

Stone

Fixed!!! Thanks to everyone, especially Hasan for his well-illustrated article which showed me, step-by-step, how to dismantle and fix the switch. And to loepan for pointing me in the right direction.

Incidentally, I was wrong about the knobs. There IS a difference; one has a cut out in the rim for the sliding contact to go through. Putting the two outer knobs on the wrong way round is what bends the slider and causes the problem, so beware if you do take the control panel apart.

Best wishes

RB

Hi guys, I'm new to the corrado world but I've previously had many, many VW's. My VR6 auto heater control fan only works on 4 also, where can I get hold of Hasan's diagram and instructions?

I had this problem because I had put knobs 2 and three back on the wrong way round. Swapping them back fixed it.

I had this problem because I had put knobs 2 and three back on the wrong way round. Swapping them back fixed it.

How do you tell which switch is which?

If you look at the panel closely, with the knob off you can see where the cut outs on the knob rim should sit. Pull one of and have a look and you should see it.