wafers

VR6 throttle damper slow to work?

I'm running a 2.8 VR6 in my mk2 Golf, but thought I'd ask on here as as a previous owner of 2 Corrados ;)

My throttle damper is 'slow' - after lifting off the throttle pedal, the revs take a couple of seconds to drop down to idle, which is a pain when driving. I've removed the damper and manually worked it, and it confirms that it's slow to return.

I'm assuming it's not a serviceable part? I pulled the rubber cover back and dropped some oil in a while back, but to no avail.

Any idea where I'd source one, and are they the same part for all VR6 engines? Mines' OBD2.

Just to confirm, I'm talking about the thing with a screw thread and and orange boot!

Cheers in advance...

You need to loosen the nut underneath and wind the dashpot down a few turns. Try that then manually open the throttle from the cam and let it slam shut. Tighten the nut back when you're happy with the closure speed.

Should take between 2 and 2.5 seconds to shut completely allowing time for the Idle stabilisation valve to then kick in.