jimmytarzan

G60 engine upgrade guidance please

Hi peeps….at present my charger has been removed and sent to Jabba for a rebuild and upgrade, I've purchased an intercooler kit along with new air induction…..question really is regarding stage 4 upgrade, I was looking at the BBMsport stage 4 kit, is that a road to go down…? I worry a little about having all the work done then something going wrong. Do i need an oil cooler too?

Is there other obvious bits that can be done?

Any help or pointers are appreciated.

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

68mm pulley belt and suitable chip is a good upgrade - chips vary in quality though with regards to fuelling so read some reviews on that.

ISV Reroute Kit - Haven't done this myself, read it has negligible effects and causes poor idle when cold. Good thread here though - http://www.corrado-club.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3819

Mocal oil cooler with a thermostatic take off plate is a must if increasing engine performance, looks after your engine in the long run.

With the 80degreeC fan switch and and coolant thermostat some people experience engine temperature that is too cool and takes a while to heat up the oil - I agree, have both these parts and may swap them back.

Can't say much about the cams or FPR though because I haven't experience them myself.

I felt the best thing with a Corrado is to upgrade the handling though - springs, bushes, anti-roll bars and strut braces.

Hi peeps….at present my charger has been removed and sent to Jabba for a rebuild and upgrade, I've purchased an intercooler kit along with new air induction…..question really is regarding stage 4 upgrade, I was looking at the BBMsport stage 4 kit, is that a road to go down…? I worry a little about having all the work done then something going wrong. Do i need an oil cooler too?

Is there other obvious bits that can be done?

Any help or pointers are appreciated.

Jimmy

most people like johnny said go stage 4 charger 68mm pulley sns chip and bbm outlet if youve still got the old silencer on exhaust then brakes and coil overs then engine mounts as all that extra power will wreck old ones you should be sitting with a health 170bhp at the wheels and something that can corner and stop like **** to a blanket after that it gets expensive

front mounted intercooler roughtly a good £500-1000 depending which one you go for then its head work cams and a bigger G75 charger (grins)

it depends if you want to keep a g60 and or just drop in a 1.8T with 225bhp out the box from the seat or skoda audi takes your pick its cheaper in the long run but youve not got a G60 anymore your money your choice

cheers stu ....

Edited by sparks

Yeah I'm all for keeping a G60 and G60, not many of them left now and the engine has its own unique character :)

There are some cheaper FMIC options that I've been looking at such as intercooler from Land Rover Defender 90 TD5, apparently it fits with no chopping:

I picked one up for £30 and haven't had to chop any of the front of my car off fitting it. It seems to be the perfect fit, wide enough to clear the rad and thin enough to fit in the space.

Merc Sprinter is another option but think its actually too big so reduces performance.

Yeah I'm all for keeping a G60 and G60, not many of them left now and the engine has its own unique character :)

There are some cheaper FMIC options that I've been looking at such as intercooler from Land Rover Defender 90 TD5, apparently it fits with no chopping:

Merc Sprinter is another option but think its actually too big so reduces performance.

yeah just saying seeing the rad tech one in action its 800 +vat but has everything included slim line fan all pipe work metal boss air flow sensor it is a nice piece of kit im still running the old intercooler but i want an swg twin setup and a radtech to complete it what was those winning lottery numbers again lol

stu ..

yeah just saying seeing the rad tech one in action its 800 +vat but has everything included slim line fan all pipe work metal boss air flow sensor it is a nice piece of kit im still running the old intercooler but i want an swg twin setup and a radtech to complete it what was those winning lottery numbers again lol

stu ..

Pipework and neatness is indeed the issue and benefit of buying a kit!

Key thing with any G60 work is the map afterwards, and there aren't many places left for that. You can get to about 220bhp with the standard bottom end, after that you're looking at a rebore really. Mines just over 250bhp now, and reliable enough to be a daily. But I've had brakes, gearbox, suspension, exhaust etc all uprated too. If you're looking for an expert talk to John Mitchell racing.

Thanks for some pointers...The Bahn Brenner stage 4 kit I've been looking at has a 'sport race cam' with it, can anyone tell me specifically what difference this makes to the performance? is it needed or can the chip just be changed? looked up the SNS chip mentioned, sounds good.