GlosterOx

Golf R 400?

John Hurdy on Golfgtiforum has done his mk6 R with uprated turbo, wmi, remap, and DSG remap, weight reductions, and is pushing 500 bhp. His is doing 11 sec quarter miles and 0-62 times of around 2.5 seconds. Unreal! He's spent around 12k on upgrades, although he bought it at 18 months old with 8k miles for 12k less than new price. I know which one I'd rather have!

So is it auto or manual then ? Pic has gear stick but it says dsg auto box , im not clued up but wouldnt have a 400bhp car of this kind with auto gears , sad that they wont produce it either but it looks tasty i bet it would be s hoot to drive

There's a big thread on Piston Heads about it. Most of it is VAG bashing (PH is famous for it) but there is speculation it will cost around the £50K mark. Personally I think VW will want to try and undercut Merc's A45 AMG (same engine & haldex as the Golf, but 'only' 360hp) which currently costs £45K, so I reckon the R400 will be around £42K.

It's getting harder to choose a German car now. VW, Audi, Mercedes all using the same basic engine and platform in their hatchbacks, and I hear Porsche are joining the high power 4 cyl club soon as well.

What I don't understand is the pricing. How can a generic super factory like VAG, who spits out 1000s the same products with different badges on, charge so much? I thought mass production drove prices down? £40K+ for a Golf is just ridiculous. I know it's spurred on by all the orange faced "I must have that now" Essex boys and girls buying them on 3x24 finance deals, but an E39 M5 was 'only' £50K not that long ago.

Kudos to the 500hp MK6, but I'd rather have the one VW built personally. I know it won't go bang and if it does, it's covered by warranty.