Sign in to follow this  
steven_j_bennett

MK4 Rear Calliper Mod!

Im Thinking about fitting some MK4 rear callipers to my 93 2.0l 16v C. :roll:

Ive fitted replacement callipers before qnd obviousley changed discs and pads but am feeling a little nervous about swapping for callipers from a different vehicle! :oops:

I Think this years C already uses equivilant to MK3 callipers and was really wondering if its worth upgrading these to the MK4 type i know the mk4 type are less likely to seize but is it worth all the aggro of getting new brake lines made????

If it is im not sure where i could get the flexi brake lines that would need changing to accept the Mk4 callipers made or can these be bought in a kit of some type? (im in the Essex area) and if so how much do you reckon these should cost? :?:

Can someone whos done this modification let me know where they got there flexi brake lines from and roughly how much they paid? And most importantly any problems that they've had doing this mod or since with the brakes??? :?:

Cheers

Steve

i ve got them on mine.

i think tsr or c+r do kits with everythink you need.

the calipers bolt to ur standard carriers and you need different flexi line to join from the copper lines to the caliper.

the standard hand brake cable fixes to them.

the mk4 rear calipers are made from alloy as well so will not rust

C&R were doing them at Inters for £55 each (no exchange) and £21 for the goodridge conversion hoses (you need these because of the Banjo type fitting)

GSF were £50 each for the Lucas calipers but you need to pay an exchange surcharge and send off your old ones at your cost.

i ve got them on mine.

i think tsr or c+r do kits with everythink you need.

the calipers bolt to ur standard carriers and you need different flexi line to join from the copper lines to the caliper.

the standard hand brake cable fixes to them.

the mk4 rear calipers are made from alloy as well so will not rust

Have you found a big difference in the braking since doing this mod? I've always felt that the brakes on my C are one its weaker points.

Anyone know if the Mk4 front callipers will fit as well?

AFAIK there the same as the late mk3 golf vr6 288mm calipers. The disks have a different offset though so you need them from the mk3

just bought some mk 4 callipers!!! £40 the pair of a 2004 tdi that had only done 3200 miles!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

do i need to use corrado pads or should i go and buy some mk4 rear pads????

:roll:

Just need the flexis! and mk4 rears here i come!!!! hmmmm do i put g60 fronts on????? :D

Steve

just bought some mk 4 callipers!!! £40 the pair of a 2004 tdi that had only done 3200 miles!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

do i need to use corrado pads or should i go and buy some mk4 rear pads????

:roll:

Just need the flexis! and mk4 rears here i come!!!! hmmmm do i put g60 fronts on????? :D

Steve

Lucky sod,

I got quoted £50 each side from my local scrapyard :x

'cos the MKIV has a different design handbrake cam which shouldn't seize up like the MKII and III ones do... 8)

yeah but the last mkIII ones are mad e of alloy and dont seize as ive seen a set at my local breakers (which where meant for me but someone got in before me :mad: )

yeah but the last mkIII ones are mad e of alloy and dont seize as ive seen a set at my local breakers (which where meant for me but someone got in before me :mad: )

They must be MK4 ones then because MK2/MK3 are not alloy and have a different handbrake mech.

Don't forget a lot of the very late MK3 brake stuff (288 front setup for example) was carried over to the MK4.

they where def mkIII as they had the right handbrake conections and hose fitments as im not thinking of putting mkIV on my car

but i dont know if they where off a golf think they where of a vento or passat cant rememeber :roll:

The original rear callipers on my 93 2.0 16v are exactally the same as the mkIII ones!

I dont know if these were fitted by someone else before i got the car but i do know that they are cast and that the handbrake has siezed on one side!!! :(

I took the carriers and mk iv flexis aswell when i took them off the car and even took the pads as they looked quiet meaty (even tho i dont need them as upgrading to grooved rear discs and green stuff pads)!

Just wondering as i took the flexis from the mk iv with the banjo type connector already there and currently attatched to calliper can i use these instead of buying new flexis? I ask as the fitting at the other end of the flexi pipe attatches to the same diameter copper and appears to have the same sort of compression type joint at the end! :roll:

Lucky sod,

I got quoted £50 each side from my local scrapyard

The salvage yard i got therse from is called Nevendon Salvage and is in Hullbridge Essex (ive been going there for years and are always very reasonable!) and i believe they will also for a charge do the dismantling and post items on to you if you can pay by credit card!!! I think they,ve got a web address i will see if i can find it if anyone is interested! When i was there they was breaking 5 Mk iv's a few passats lupos and polos loads of audis e.g a4, a6 tt a8 2 skoda octavia rs a couple of seat cupras and even a few porsches!

The guy quoted me a month back £120 for 2 front callipers and the discs, pads,brake lines and carriers from a P reg 911 carrera (think its a 964) didnt get them as was a bit short of ££££ at the time :cry: but they looked in superb condition and was the powder coated black brembo type with porsche written in white writing on them!

I think with a bit of fabrication and some hard work i could have got these on my c and would have made a fantastic brake upgrade for less than the price of one brand new front calliper from VW!

Steve

I noticed on a 01 plate Audi tt (180 bhp version) without the vented rear disc uses what appear to be identical rear callipers to the mk iv but appear to be powder coated or plastic coated in green! I was going to get these instead but wasnt 100% sure if the carrier was the same so decided to leave them!

just out of interest does anyone know if these callipers would've fit? :?: :?:

Steven - If you could find some contact info for this place I'd be interested in giving them a shout. I don't know of any breakers in the Norwich area that get new-ish Vee Dubs/Seats/etc. and Essex is only down the road.

[edit] My bad...two minutes and the Applegate directory and I've got the info I was asking for. I assume this is the correct place: http://www.nsec.co.uk/ [/edit]

If anyone knows of decent breakers in the Norwich area I'd also be glad to hear about them! I usually hang out at Volk-a-part and Hainford Hall, but neither really has any newish VAG stuff.

Right, I'm going to be upgrading the front brakes on my VR to a 288mm setup soon (I've just bought calipers and carriers) and I know I need late Mk3 Golf front brake lines, so I was going to get a set of goodridge braided hoses. But, I'll also be upgrading to Mk4 rear calipers at some point (but maybe not just yet).

So, if I buy the goodridge late Mk3 Golf 6 line hose set will they fit Mk4 rear calipers or I would I still need to buy an adapter kit?

Sorry if this has been answered already, but I've spent ages reading various threads on brake upgrades and not found a definitive anwser, and I really don't want to pay for something which I won't be able to use.

Cheers,

Tony.