Sign in to follow this  
Ice White Socks

Wobbly Knob!!

Hello,

Have noticed that my gear knob seems to be moving/ vibrating more then it used to when moving at high revs in low gears. Even more annoying is it ticks as it bangs against its rest. I was hoping it was just due to a sloppy engine mount but that has been replaced with a hard as nails vibtra-tech racing one. The engine now feels like its been concreted into the engine bay :) , but it still ticks :?

Is there a bolt I can tighten in the gear selector/ gear shifting assembly that will tighten the movement of the gear knob, anyone..

Cheers

Mike

I would lift the cover from around the gear lever and take a look around there. As you wiggle the lever from side to side, check it's not moving too far left due to the circlip being missing from the left hand end of the pivot mechanism. Hopefully youl'l see what I mean when you take a look. Very common for that to be missing, which makes the gear lever a bit sloppier than it should be from side to side. That's assuming the ticking isn't coming from the engine bay though? Is the noise from at the gear lever?

That's assuming the ticking isn't coming from the engine bay though? Is the noise from at the gear lever?

Yes mate- the noise is just the gear lever itself knocking against its rest- I can stop it just by holding the gear lever.

Cheers for the advise- I'll have a look at the weekend.

Mike

Reckon itl'l probably be the circlip missing then, give me five minutes and I'll post a piccy of what I mean, hope I'm right, as easy fix, provided stealers give you the right circlip!

Circlip, as indicated at the tip of the white pen. Check the spring forward of this in the piccy as well while your'e there, but reckon if that had broken you'd have trouble with accurate shifting. I'm betting it's a missing circlip.

colinstubbs, Sorry mate, don't have the part number, but stealer should be able to get one no probs. Just be careful they give you the correct one. Seems to be a smaller bright finished version with a kind of clip over the middle, and a larger duller finish one (as per the piccy). Stealer tried to palm me off with the smaller one with the clip, but wouldn't quite fit my car, so they gave me the correct one eventually.

P.S - Like your signature, sums up my attitude to religion nicely. :)