Mawrick

How is the front speakers supposed to be fastened?

How should the speakers that sits in the front be fastened? - are they only supposed to be dropped in and then the cover goes on top or?.

also - any tips on speakers that will fit here? (will any 4" fit? - or something specific to look for)

Also the "cover" that sits in the middle of the console - is this also a place for speaker, or only some cosmetic cover thingy?.

I assume you mean the dash speakers? They are the tweeters and are actually quite large, not entirely sure what size tbh but not standard tweet size anyway. Think there are a few sets on eBay which may detail size. Check Nokia dash tweeters and it should come up with something. Yeah they drop in from above. Four screws to hold in place, then grille over the top. The two screws closest the screen are a royal pain unless you have a right angle screwdriver. The centre bit is just trim, not a speaker unfortunately.

I assume you mean the dash speakers? They are the tweeters and are actually quite large, not entirely sure what size tbh but not standard tweet size anyway. Think there are a few sets on eBay which may detail size. Check Nokia dash tweeters and it should come up with something. Yeah they drop in from above. Four screws to hold in place, then grille over the top. The two screws closest the screen are a royal pain unless you have a right angle screwdriver. The centre bit is just trim, not a speaker unfortunately.

Is it actually possible to secure by screws? (see image attatched):

Also the cut wires on the picture - anyone know where they go ? (I suspect they are some speaker wires that someone have tapped into at one point in time - but not sure)......

The two speakers at either end of the dash are actually small tweeters which are mounted in a circular plastic plate which is approx. 98mm in diameter. Check out the photos below and you will see that they are actually a push fit into the dash and are held in place by three spring clips. The mesh covers are also just a push fit into the dash and have four pegs on the under side. Each tweeter has four terminals into which two plugs fit. The signal comes from the radio into the tweeter via one plug, through it and then on down to the woofer in the door via the other plug. Basically one plug is signal in and the other is signal out. In OEM condition the woofer in the door will not work if the tweeter is missing unless the signal in and signal out wires are joined where the tweeter should be. I think that this is what has happened in your case by the look of things.

When I bought my current Corrado I had no music from the front door speakers and I eventually found that the tweeters were missing. I finished up with two sets and the set you see below are surplus to requirements. They can be yours for £10 posted. If you are interested, drop me a PM.

There are a couple of sets on e-bay at the moment with a 99p starting bid. I'll not be offended if you go for them .......... at least now you know how the system should work.

P5110001.jpg

Edited by leon263

The two speakers at either end of the dash are actually small tweeters which are mounted in a circular plastic plate which is approx. 98mm in diameter. Check out the photos below and you will see that they are actually a push fit into the dash and are held in place by three spring clips. The mesh covers are also just a push fit into the dash and have four pegs on the under side. Each tweeter has four terminals into which two plugs fit. The signal comes from the radio into the tweeter via one plug, through it and then on down to the woofer in the door via the other plug. Basically one plug is signal in and the other is signal out. In OEM condition the woofer in the door will not work if the tweeter is missing unless the signal in and signal out wires are joined where the tweeter should be. I think that this is what has happened in your case by the look of things.

When I bought my current Corrado I had no music from the front door speakers and I eventually found that the tweeters were missing. I finished up with two sets and the set you see below are surplus to requirements. They can be yours for £10 posted. If you are interested, drop me a PM.

There are a couple of sets on e-bay at the moment with a 99p starting bid. I'll not be offended if you go for them .......... at least now you know how the system should work.

P5110001.jpg

I think I actually got a pair of those in my older Passat - so will have a look, but are they any "good" - also what is original in the door ? - is it only a bass element or a two way speaker ?. - will a 2-way speaker work if it's hooked up via these tweeters ?.

I'l get back to you if I would need em :)

Ditch them they are crap , i disconected mine and taped and sealed the wires so they couldnt cause any interfearance

Then buy some good quality two way speakers ! NOT coaxile as all the sound will be by your feet

I put my tweater in the door triangle bit of plastic , looks OE enough

I chose herts speakers by the way at about 100 quid for the two , the power you save not running those gash standard speakers all goes to making the new quality speakers sound that little better

I read a fair bit and this seemed to be the best route to take unless you put in audioscope pods

Ditch them they are crap , i disconected mine and taped and sealed the wires so they couldnt cause any interfearance

Then buy some good quality two way speakers ! NOT coaxile as all the sound will be by your feet

I put my tweater in the door triangle bit of plastic , looks OE enough

I chose herts speakers by the way at about 100 quid for the two , the power you save not running those gash standard speakers all goes to making the new quality speakers sound that little better

I read a fair bit and this seemed to be the best route to take unless you put in audioscope pods

What's ment by: "NOT coaxile as all the sound will be by your feet"

Any links to the different speakers you used yourself ?.

Also how did you fit the dash speakers ? (and size)

For best sound quality, use component rather than coaxial type speakers. They have their own crossover so split mid/high range accordingly, rather than sending all sound to the same speaker to split two/three ways in the case of coaxial. Sound definition is much better with components, though you obviously get what you pay for. £25 halfords jobbies are miles apart from good quality components. Hertz, kappa infinity, or focal are all good quality speakers in 13cm/5.25" for door speakers, without having to chop up the door pod. Standard size is 4" iirc but the 5.25" will fit as above.

Exactly what sean says mate , and the reason for not running the dashboard speakers is because they are only a tweeter , and if you buy good quality component speakers you wont need them ! But if you keep them commected they will drain power from your head unit and away from running your new components

Its also worth dynomating the doors while your in there mate will stop alot of rattles

Hertz, kappa infinity, or focal are all good quality speakers in 13cm/5.25" for door speakers, without having to chop up the door pod. Standard size is 4" iirc but the 5.25" will fit as above.

Ive recently fitted the Infinity Kappa 52.9i 5.25" in my doors, to match up with the 693.9i 6*9's in the rear, & am happy to say they are awesome!! & i found them drastically reduced to about £60!!

Unlike many coax speakers the infinity kappa's come with their own in line crossovers ;)

From the wires they have spliced together to me it seem like only one of the two wires (that used to go to the tweeters)) are spliced together - the other wire goes out into connectors that goes nowhere.

Does it only require one of them to be spliced up or what ?.