Sign in to follow this  
Ice White Socks

Tyre wear question (not my car tho)

Hello,

A mate of mine was looking at an Audi A3 1.8T over the weekend. He gave me a ring about it and I told him to check the tyres weren't wearing funny. He came back and said the rear tyres were wearing in patches i.e the outer and inner treads on both rears went bald-tread-bald-tread-bald etc

There is name for this kind of wear because I was warned against it by this forum when I was Corrado hunting- I so wanted to remember it at the time but I couldn't. Whats it called and what causes it (Obviously I know its bad news- I told him just to walk away- I don't even think the garage knew about it to be fair cos my mate said the the owner of the garage was looking at the tyres when my mate was leaving)

Of course the garage will put a couple of crappy tyres on the car- and the poor sod that looks at it next won't have any idea they are buying a lemon :x

Mike

dead shocks tends to cause this kinda wear along with under inflation of the tyres if it's on the outer edges of the tread only...

No there is definitely a name for it- its caused by serious rear end unalignment from crash damage. I actually picked it up from this forum but I can't find the information now :oops:

Cheers

Actually a mate has an Audi A3 1.8T quattro and that tends to wear tyres a) very fast and b) very unevenly. Nothing wrong with that one, either, no crashes, no twists, no bends. The rear shocks were replaced at 30k miles and it still wears unevenly. I don't recall him ever saying there was that kind of extreme wear pattern, but it's certainly a bit *weird"..

I couldn't tell ya what it's called tho!

No there is definitely a name for it- its caused by serious rear end unalignment from crash damage. I actually picked it up from this forum but I can't find the information now

I finally remembered the name when I woke up this morning (bizzare I know :oops: ), despite posting this a million months ago. Its called 'crabbing'. Well chuffed

Crabbing is when a car doesn't run with the rear wheels in line with the front wheels.... IE, it's going slightly sideways all the time... It shouldn't actually affect the wear on the tyres as they should all still be pointing straight, just not in line with each other.... :|