EmGreenVR6

VR6 fuel tank capacity

Hi,

Managed to run out of fuel the other day (petrol gauge being dodgy), luckily had anticipated this and was carrying 5 litres of unleaded. Went to fill up at the garage less than a mile away, and the tank only took 57 litres, which I make 62 (maybe 63) in total.

Anyone know why my VR6 tank would not take 70 litres (or 65 after the top-up)? I've got a pretty comprehensive folder of all the work done in the last 15 years, and I'm pretty sure the tank hasn't been replaced...

thanks,

Emma

Definitely 70 litres for the VR6.

Earlier 16V and G60s had 12 Gallon tanks (60 litres) IIRC.

Are you absolutely sure the tank only had 5 litres in it before the refill? Best thing to do is climb under there, get the part number off the tank and compare it to someone else's on here. If it's definitely a VR6 tank, your fuel level sender is lying.

EDIT: I've just remembered some filling station pumps click off prematurely, so it's probably that. It's happened to me at a Shell station a few times.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Yes, definitely 5 litres from a plastic can from running dry, then 57 litres at the BP. Gauge says 15 gallons, but even when full it never reads 15, more like 13...

Weird.

Mine always used to take over 65 litres when running past the red. I never ran it out completely.

If yours never reads 15 Gall, I'd say your fuel level sender needs recalibrating or you have a smaller tank on the car.

Yes Kev is right some stations do the early click off.

fill it up whats that? :scratch::shrug:

My fuel gauge only reads half! :thumbleft::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously I may have a problem with my sender, when the car is facing down hill it reads higher. needle tends to move up and down when driving but never going pass the amount i have put in? If that makes sense...hmm Dunno?

Edited by Ray1965

Yeah that's normal. Most cars have more fuel down hill and less uphill :D

I would have thought by now they would weigh the fuel in the tank instead of ancient floats! Cost I suppose!