VAG-hag

solved. nasty noises when fired for 1st time in months and after plenty of work

Fired it up last night and it sounds rough :(

over the last few months I have:

changed chains, tensioners and clutch. So had it in a fair number of bits!

I dont think it is firing on all cylinders which in the past after having it apart has been down to one sticky injector. But there is also a metallic rattle on the os of the engine, could this be the pas pump? The pump was disconnected during the work. I added new fluid and primed it by hand before turning it over.....

Edited by VAG-hag

Wont be that then. Could be something as simple as a bearing on the cogs on the alternator, waterpump etc

If you suspect the alty PAS pump or water pump, slip the drive belt off and start the car up for a few seconds without it on. It could also be the tensioner?

If you suspect the alty PAS pump or water pump, slip the drive belt off and start the car up for a few seconds without it on. It could also be the tensioner?

Yeah - try this out. The PAS pump can make some horrendous noise, as can the alternator. Eliminating all things driven off the aux belt for a few seconds will help you narrow it down quickly. You'll also know then as hand spinning each item driven off the belt, you should be able to immediately hear noise or feel excessive resistance.

Solved! So it turns out that when you delete the carbon canister and dont plug the hole downstream of the TB, VR6s dont like this!

Think the exhaust is blowing a little too, but thats easy peasy to sort. Thanks all.

Glad to hear you're back in business mate! Looking forward to seeing G60 NO at some meets in the near future. Still my favourite plate for a VR6 :)

Cheers Jim! Few nigles to sort but the business end is happy! Looking forward to getting slim fans on and maybe even driving it :)

Out of interest the pas caused no problems, no noise at all. Will this change when the wheels are on the floor? I hope not!