Sign in to follow this  
Scott

Cam Profile Changes?

Hi Guys,

A mate bought magazine from ebay last week about buying corrados. Its Autocar 7th Jan 97. In it, it reckons that the cam profiles were changed on VR6's from 94 (M) onwards to improve the torque characteristics. It also reckons this coincided with a drop in the red line revs from 6900 to 6400....

Anyone know anything of this or is it all tosh? *:)

If it is true what difference does it make to power / output / etc?

Cheers,

Scott

I doubt it as the Corrado was killed off the following year and development on the 24V engine began. The 2.8 VR6 saw a few engine changes but the Corrado, afaik, stuck with the same specification throughout it's life. There is one man that would know for sure, Vince Saiya!

VW were never happy with the torque of the 16V or the VR6! Crossflow heads breath exceptionally well, which can hinder low down torque a bit. This is why they jointly developed the VSR with Peirburg, but dropped the idea. Shrick then bought the rights and developed it. The 2.9 always was torquier than the 2.8 but it still does most of it's pulling past 3,500 rpm.

Why the VR feels lifeless low down is a mystery when you look at the torque curve.

190bhp allied to 181lb/ft SHOULD feel grunty from idle to Vmax, but it doesn't!

A supercharged VR does though I reckon!

Kev

Hi Guys,

A mate bought magazine from ebay last week about buying corrados. Its Autocar 7th Jan 97. In it, it reckons that the cam profiles were changed on VR6's from 94 (M) onwards to improve the torque characteristics. It also reckons this coincided with a drop in the red line revs from 6900 to 6400....

Anyone know anything of this or is it all tosh? *:)

If it is true what difference does it make to power / output / etc?

Cheers,

Scott

There might be something to this, ive just looked out my rolling road report and the last reading taken is at 6000, the readings are in increments of 500 so if the rev limits at 6400 that would explain it.

Well it looks like its total tosh although the rev limit starts at 6500rpm....

But in mine - no idea of the rest of you once you get to 6k rpms the power tails off.... ?

Can any of you send me a RR chart of VR6 ?

Scott

Well it looks like its total tosh although the rev limit starts at 6500rpm....

But in mine - no idea of the rest of you once you get to 6k rpms the power tails off.... ?

Can any of you send me a RR chart of VR6 ?

Scott

The following is a copy of my plot from the Scottish Rolling road day at Star Performance recently.

rollingroad.jpg

Jamie

'93 Aqua blue VR6