jezhawk7

When I put full beam on lights go out ??

Hi guys I know this has been covered somewhere before but could not get a good answer.

Just had a MOT today it failed on headlight full beam, problem i got at night when i put my full beam on the blue light on dash comes on but lights go out at front so its pitch black on road lol not good now I have looked at the bulbs seem OK but I wanted to ask if anyone else has ever had same problem? all lights work normal only happens as I said when i put beam on don't know if it needs new lamps or could it be relay ? thanks in advance for any help

Jerry

Have you got an aftermarket uprated headlight loom fitted?

No its all standard I did just notice in daylight 1 light is on, drivers side next to full beam but thats it

I bought a non-genuine replacement off ebay for a little over £15 and works well and looks the same.

sorry Jim thanks for reply I'm a bit of a Newb Stalk ? could i get from Halfords or similar

The stalk as in what you pull to get full beam next to steering wheel

If indeed it is the stalks, you'll need to get them new from VW or off a breaker.

Thanks jim great help just for your info my blue light comes on when I pull the stalk did yours still come on ?

Yeah am sure it did, i only sussed it when i fitted an uprated loom to try and fix it, something was making the relays click like crazy so i worked out it was the stalk connections.

There is also a dim/dip resistor fixed to the inner wing on the passenger side, just behind the headlight, i'm not sure how it works as it didn't seem to matter on mine if i had that connected or disconnected.

Right just checked again now home from work all bulbs look OK not blown the main H4 bulbs work as normal but when I try to flash nothing happens lights stay on but when i click the stalk back blue light comes on and the driver side light stays on but passenger light goes out and the little bulbs which I think are the full beam ones don't come on at all.

I found the yellow dim/dip resistor on passenger side and same for me Jim it does not make any difference connected or disconnected.

Could it be a relay ? or should I just order a new stalk first ?

Thanks again

Jerry

Top right, position 6 number on it might be 21. It should give an audible click when activated. Normally quite reliable but do fail. Make sure it's fitted properly and the contact aren't corroded.

Cheap enough from vw if you need a new 1.