ExR32

G60 - Throttle/Acceleration issue

Hi All.

My 1991 G60 has been off the road for two months and this week, passed its MOT with only minor issues :-)

Since this time, when I put my foot down it would get to about 3-4000 rpm and judder at a certain point then take off again. Today, after driving it for 2 hours, it struggled to maintain revs low down and almost died, even with my foot down hard it wasnt moving, almost like its being starved of fuel.

Any suggestions please?

Its had a new battery, starter motor, throttle cable etc so I know thats not sticking.

Thanks!

try doing these two before you try anything else

Blue temp water senser £20 + ECU vac hose £5

may also be that your drive belt is slipping?

took this from fortitude

"Well you need to start with the basics. Good tune up parts, Bosch W6DPO plugs good Bosch cap and rotor, plug wires, fuel filter, correct timing procedure, vac line replacement not just check them, ecu vac line 1M, replace ground wires and wires for the battery, alternator, starer and ecu...ect after all these cars are near 24 years old. Check for boost leaks they can cause the funk mode. Run the correct Bosch O2 sensor, check or replace your knock sensor, if the wire to it is rubbed through replace it. Did you check to see if your cam timing slipped? Replace the #30 ecu power control relay."

"Also, hopefully this one hans't been covered yet....

If your G60 runs fine one moment, then misses like crazy, check the condition of the hall switch on the distributor, lots of times it's cracked at the plug in point. One of the most common (at least it seems like it to me) probs with older G60's, yet one of the easiest to find if you have an idea that this can happen.

The engine bay of a G60 gets REALLY hot and over time weakens stuff. This seems especially true of this part in particular."

hope this helps bro

Obviously change all of the above because it will rule it all out and you'll have peace of mind for the future, but I changed my ecu relay a couple hundred miles ago due to me having a similar problem to yourself and bingo. Runs like a dream now.

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the help and advise. Will check these on weekend. The ECU relay and crack near the distributor sound like what it could be from the symptons. Im sure its had a new blue water temp sensor. Cheers :-)

If you want to test some bits i'm just down the road in Charvil. My G60's not on the road at the moment.

Hi marks2,

That would be awesom if you could assist! Whilst I lov my G60, im not too sure on the finer mechanical bits! So want it sorted as Ive had nothing but bad luck with the car and this is one of the most things which worries me every time I drive it!

Quick thread update:

ExR32 came over on Friday. We found a number of wiring issues which will hopefully be sorted soon.

I pulled Relay #30, removed the cover and examined with a x20 eye piece. A scary number of the solder joints had visible cracks.

To be safe I reworked all joints on the relay. So far ExR32 reports that the hesitation / judder issue has gone.

When I took a look at the relay in my G60 it was in a similar state.

Good to hear , that it's sorted . How is Charvil these days it was my old stomping ground .

Pretty much a one horse town. I guess nothing has changed.