Sign in to follow this  
Rick

Koni adjustable shocks - best setup for VR

Whats the best set up with a Koni adjustable dammping on a VR6?..

more damping on the front or the back, or do i need more damping on the front left??

Any one help?

1.5 turns front, 0.75 turns rear and this is with H&R -35mm springs.

*Never* set the rear stiffer than the front.

HTH

K

Yeah that's good, I prefer 1.75 turns on the front but then I don't have fancy anti roll bars yet... :D

He he, you really must invest in Neuspeed ARBs. You simply will not believe what the C is capable of with those bad boys fitted.

He he, you really must invest in Neuspeed ARBs. You simply will not believe what the C is capable of with those bad boys fitted.

How do they differ performance wise to the Eibachs mate? What is the benefit of the rose joints??

Rose joints...OK..here we go...... The rear axle moves about in both lateral and vertical planes.....to retain ride comfort you need to allow the axle to move about in it's natural movement. The Rose joints allow this. You get a 180 degree bearing for the strut end *and* the bar end, so to all intent and purposes, the ARB doesn't exist when driving straight and over bumps. Hit a corner and those rose joints come into their own. They and the bar hold the rear axle rigidly whilst still allowing natural movement.

The Eibachs just clamp the two struts together rigidly, which gives (in my experience) a fidgety ride over bumps.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Eibachs, I've had 3 sets of them over the years. Superb value for money, but the Neuspeeds just take it one step further and the quality and fitment is second to none, which is reflected in the price I'm sorry to say.

You're looking at £180 each for the Neuspeeds compared to about £289 for a pair of Ibax.

I'm lucky enough to have sampled both and I can unequivocally state the NSpeeds are the best.

BUT.....if you *really* want some serious body roll reduction with almost zero weight penalty, look no further than titanium tubular and race spec ARBs. These are out of this world and they'll cost you dearly.

Add some adjustable front wishbones to the equation and I kid you not, you'll have a C that'll trash a Subura round a track.

K

Get some H&R coilovers on there - keeps the car flat in corners and improves turn-in by an amazing amount.

The springs are around twice the rate of the standard items though, so can be a bit firm over low-speed potholes (but still nicer than Eibachs...).

Jeez, and I thought I was a nerd! :lol:

Only joking mate! Thanks for clearing that up. They certainly sound like a clever little set up. As you say expensive though. Eibachs are available for round 220 quid for the set, quite a bit cheaper. Although I'm not sure if the Eibachs are still available for the C VR?? Apparently they stopped doing them, and then restarted?

Get some H&R coilovers on there - keeps the car flat in corners and improves turn-in by an amazing amount.

The springs are around twice the rate of the standard items though, so can be a bit firm over low-speed potholes (but still nicer than Eibachs...).

But the ride improves with speed I find. Honest officer :D

H&Rs coilovers with Eibachs = mental cornering. But "interesting" in the wet if you're not sensible!! Love it!!

Im running about 1 3/4 turns on the front and its ideal, rears arent adjustable though, and could do with being a touch harder. :x

Has anyone upgraded from Koni TA's to coilovers? Is there an improvement or just the added ability to adjust the height? :?

Any idea how they compare with Koni coilovers?

Yes, I found that too.

60+ through to - oohh - quite a lot was really very good.

Made me realise the differences in ride quality that various makes of tyre had though (Fulda - great turn in but HARD, Pirelli - softer and much more forgiving if it all goes wrong)

Made me realise the differences in ride quality that various makes of tyre had though (Fulda - great turn in but HARD, Pirelli - softer and much more forgiving if it all goes wrong)

I've found that too Mike. Running 40 profile tyres is always going to be on the firm side, but I'm amazed at the difference between Yoko A539s (firm) with Conti SportContacts which are lovely!!

Yeah rubber makes all the difference. I'm *very* happy with my Bridgestone RE720s on the Speedlines. There is no better rubber for OE sized wheels. Shame they're not available in 17s.

Rim protector, dual compound, square and stiff shoulders......lovely. Way, way better than F1 GDS2s.

Jeez, and I thought I was a nerd! :lol:

Only joking mate! Thanks for clearing that up. They certainly sound like a clever little set up. As you say expensive though. Eibachs are available for round 220 quid for the set, quite a bit cheaper. Although I'm not sure if the Eibachs are still available for the C VR?? Apparently they stopped doing them, and then restarted?

I know *enough* :wink:

Eibach can't make their minds up whether to cease production or not. Whenever I've needed some, I've been able to get them, so no worries there.

I am running a similar setup to 'Joe M' on my golf with front adjustable koni ssk's, - ( i know its different to a C in weight etc), thing is, they seem to be really pretty bumpy whatever, - my front offside window is starting to rattle like a b**ch.....Is this just the sacrifice for this kit, or could there be somthing wrong???