Sign in to follow this  
Mike Edwards

Sunroof repairs - a new record!

Moving this to General forum Mike.

That sounds like good going though!

Totally agree, it's a far too common an occurence!

We'd normally use that forum for people asking common questions, or answers to common questions.

If you wanted to know how to fix a sunroof, or were posting a guide as to how to fix one then that would be the most appropriate forum.

You can have the thread wherever you like though :?: :)

Well, if someone has a broken roof, I can tell them exactly what's gone wrong and how to fix it, but I'm a lazy toad so haven't bothered with a write up.

Plus, the one done by Markos on the Yahoo e-group is about as comprehensive as it gets.

I think if you can do it in two hours, you're just about the authority on the sunroof fix! :)

2 hours to remove, dis-assemble, replace the broken parts, reassemble and refit a Corrado Sunroof... :D

Well get yourself round to mine and sort my rocker arms out then......

Think I've sussed what's going on here. The little plastic roller wheels have worn down and gone eliptical, therefore the sliding wedge struggles to lift them out of the detent in the slide rails.

I did a moonroof conversion on mine in under 90 mins, does that count?!? ;) 8)

Think you beat me by about 30 minutes, but I did give the headlining a thorough clean while it was out of the car! Funny thing is i had a quote of 4 hours minimum to sort it out from a garage, just goes to show, provided you familiarise yourself first, DIY can often be best!

Kev,

With the roof at full-tilt press down on the pivot of the rocker arm. If there's any up and down movement, it's the mounting that has worn/bent/broken.

When either of the above happens the little wheels on the rockers take a pounding.

Replace the mounting and rocker complete (it's called the "Water Guide Plate" 1H0 898 019 or 020 depending on which side)

and your roof will work again.

This part of the mechanism is identical to that found on the moonroof...

As a general note, the common feature of my extensive selection of broken roof mechanisms is that they don't seem to have been lubricated since they left the factory.

Get a can of White Grease (with PTFE) from Halfords and give the tracks that the slider mechanism and drive cables run in a good squirt.