Jim Bowen

Clutch issue. vr6

Not sure if I already asked about this.

Symptoms are:

Bite point really low. Impossible for it to be any lower

Hard to get in gear. Grinds and then jumps in. Almost like the clutch isn't working.

It was doing this and I changed clutch and gearbox. But all were used items. Stopped doing it for a short while and then came back.

Was thinking of trying a new slave cylinder first. Am just hoping its nothing to do with the master cylinder etc

Sounds very familiar. Change the slave cylinder first, readily available on e-bay at around £44 and a pretty straightforward job which can be done without removing anything else. If that doesn't cure it, then you may need a master cylinder as well. I've been lucky and got away with a slave cylinder on one car but needed both on another car.

Bleed it.

The slave is the dead end of the hydraulic system, if the seals are passing the fluid leaks on the floor via the gearbox bellhousing.

If there is no external fluid leaks the slave is hydraulically ok

If the master cylinder seals are leaking the fluid passes them returning to the reservoir feed above the brake master cylinder.

Couldn't see any sign of damaged to the hose, also couldn't see any leaks but only had a quick look (noticed a coolant leak while i was there so thats gone on my list)

Just ordered a new slave cylinder as my original has covered about 220,000miles. Master cylinder doesn't seem as expensive as i thought, been reading a few posts on here and seems there is a bit of confusion with ordering the master cylinder and also a few new parts to order with it, including a pedal?

Sounds very similar to my recent clutch problems,

Dropped the slave out,slight leakage around the seals,so changed it for a new one.It wouldn't bleed through,so ordered a new mastercylinder from Delphi using my reg number.Yep, they sent the wrong one,the newer version !

My mechanic mate had a good ring around,and managed to find a NOS m/c,

My clutch is high,biting point is good.

Try the slave first,if you do have to change the pedal to the newer one,it has to come from Germany,(about 3 weeks)

Clutch pedal 3A2721315 about £38

Mounting clip 1HO721357 about £1

Guide 191721421 about £1.50

When I stripped my cylinder,the internal spring had broke

Nice one. Think it was one of your posts I was reading. Do I order those bits straight from the vw dealers? Will probably buy them anyway. Is bound to need doing one day.

The pedal I ordered from Heritage,and is coming from Germany,(been about 10 days ,not here yet )

The other two parts you can get from the dealers,I didn't get around to ordering them,but like you,I thought I'd need them one day !the newer m/c is still available from the dealers 358721388

If you need the pedal in a hurry,you can have mine,

On another note,I have found a company that will recondition the old M/C's

Tried bleeding it last night, couldn't get any air out and didn't make any difference. If anything it got worse, i think it a bearing issue now as its making a rattling noise now. Used my new mechanics stethoscope and sounds like its coming from the clutch.

Giving up for now, will fix it when new engine goes in. New clutch and slave cylinder arrived today, just need an engine :lol:

Sounds very similar to my recent clutch problems,

Dropped the slave out,slight leakage around the seals,so changed it for a new one.It wouldn't bleed through,so ordered a new mastercylinder from Delphi using my reg number.Yep, they sent the wrong one,the newer version !

My mechanic mate had a good ring around,and managed to find a NOS m/c,

My clutch is high,biting point is good.

Try the slave first,if you do have to change the pedal to the newer one,it has to come from Germany,(about 3 weeks)

Clutch pedal 3A2721315 about £38

Mounting clip 1HO721357 about £1

Guide 191721421 about £1.50

When I stripped my cylinder,the internal spring had broke

I can't find that pedal on heritage site?