Shep___

Side strips

My VR6 has had these removed at some point in the past. While I agree that it looks cleaner without, I'm getting fed up with the frequency of picking up new door dings when I park the car out.

So I have picked up these and wanted to see if there is any general advise about fitting them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79357[/ATTACH]

Things I am wondering;

-Best method to remove the old adhensive? (a bit wary of using something that will attack the plastic)

-Any recommedadtions to restore the finish of the material?

-Best product for attaching the strips to the car?

Cheers :thumbleft:

Check out the link below for the perfect tool for adhesive removal. You simply mount it in an electric drill and hold against the old adhesive residue which will be quickly removed by the spinning action. This is the type of tool that all body shops use to remove adhesive and it is perfectly safe on paintwork or plastics. Use double sided foam trim tape to re-fix the bump strips....... widely available on e-bay. I thoroughly cleaned the bump strips on mine, plastic primed them and sprayed them stain black .......... problem solved.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-Eraser-Wheel-Spindle-Adaptor-Sticker-Decal-Adhesive-Tapes-Glue-Remover-/310777403000?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item485bc6d678

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Super-Strong-Permanent-Double-Sided-Self-Adhesive-Foam-Car-Trim-Body-Tape-/250995195679?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&var=&hash=item3a707abf1f

Edited by leon263

Thanks, that is excellent.

I hadn't considered painting the strips. I wonder if it's worth looking at matching the body colour.

It's too pliable to paint really. As soon as it was knocked the paint would crack. It'll probably do it with temperature changes too.

I ran colour coded bump strips on my last Corrado for over a year with no problems before I sold it. I also ran them for a couple of years on my Mk3 Golf Cabriolet VR6, again with no problem. If you think about it, virtually all cars come with painted plastic bumpers now and that does not appear to be a problem. The secret is to add plasticiser to the primer, colour and lacquer when painting plastic parts. It has the effect of keeping the paint flexible to avoid cracking etc. I will admit that it will do nothing to stop chips sustained in the supermarket car park lottery, but if you are sensible about where you park you should have no problems

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLEXIBLE-ADDITIVE-FOR-ALL-2K-PAINTS-PLASTICISER-1lt-/290582278640?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item43a80db1f0

but if you are sensible about where you park you should have no problems

This is my problem, it doesn't seem to matter how far I park away from a store, *completely alone* whenever I come back there is always some Bozo who has parked right next to my car. It's like the Corrado attracts them or something.

I'm not too fussed about painting the strips, but the original finish is faded and grey. Is there a way of restoring it without applying a new finish? I tried some plastic trim restorer we had at home, it doesn't make much difference.

That's exactly why I did mine satin black his time. I tried numerous products that promised the earth, but none of them lasted for any length of time.

Carpro Dlux, or Gtechniq C4. Both pricey but will last approximately 2 years depending on condition. Will absolutely knock 90% of off the shelf trim restorer products out the park. There are others, but these two are probably the best on the market by far. The best detailers in the world use these products and charge for it too!

The grille and rub strips on my car were done by the previous owner using GTechniq C4 two years ago and they are still very, very black. When they do eventually fade I wouldn't hesitate using it again. Even at £30 a shot it's worth every penny for how long it lasts. See my pics in the members gallery for an idea of how it looks two years on...

Well I got one of these rubber drill tools but it seems to chew into the plastic of the trim as much as it does the adhesive tape and made a bit of a mess. So it seems a blade and some patience is the best method I have found so far to remove it.

Just watched the how to apply video on youtube for this and it is pretty awesome.

It really is excellent gear James. I've tried LOADS of all different products that all promise the earth and fail to deliver but this is excellent.

Like I said previously this was applied over two years ago (sorry for the pic whoring)

9A53DCC7-CB66-47AC-92E6-0C495ABB6F0A.jpg

I'll be getting some of that for front grille your's look's hard as nails with the smoked light's :thumbleft:

Haha funny you say that James - I'm constantly looking thinking "I really like the smoked headlights" and "Those smoked headlamps look crap - I'm ripping it off" :D

Hi. Old post.. I never did get around to fitting these and I don't have the car any more. If anyone is interested in them drop me a PM.