Thursdave

Hi folks - possibly buying a G60

Hi folks. Newbie here! Always loved the looks of the 80's VW's and finally of an age to get classic insurance so ive started look for a corrado! Going to view one at the weekend which is listed as a 'minor refurb project' - is there a buyers guide anywhere i can have a read over?

Also, what is the interior space like for giants (I'm 6'6").

Hope to be spending some more time round here soon ;)

Dave.

Dave,

I'm just over 6'2" and there is not a-lot of headroom. At 6' 6" you may struggle to find a comfortable driving position.

I'd be careful with a refurb project - these have a habit of swallowing £'s. It may be better to spend a little extra in the first place amd buy a sorted car.

Edited by marks2

I am 6'4" and to be honest there is very little legroom behind the driver's seat...and more often than not I drive with the sunroof on tilt! 6'6" may be a struggle I think but you won't know until you give it a go. Good luck anyway the noise of the VR6 is alone is worth it if you can fit in...

Yeah, I'm aware that depending on what it needs it might not be fore me. Still, it's worth a look. Taking a technician friend along so we should be able to get a pretty good idea of how much work needs doing.

Cheers for the info about the head room, it might not be too bad - I fit nicely in old mk2 toyota MR2's, which being japanese aren't exactly huge, so it might be ok.

Also, sod the rear seat, that's just extra boot space for me! :D

I'm about 6'2 and yes it's pretty tight up top but ok unless I hit a big bump.. The seats are nice and wide between the bolsters though.

Check out that charger! Have a read of the G60 tuning info on here, it should give you a good idea of what to expect of a standard one.

So, I've bought a Corrado G60. :D

Fantastic condition - the odd cosmetic fault here and there (needs a bloody good clean and detail), but *everything* works - leccy spoiler, sunroof (tilt AND slide!), all the electrics, did the screwdriver on the G-lader trick to see what it sounded like - no clicks or clinks or untoward noises at all.

Started first time, 6 BBS alloys, all with good tyres (the 4 on the car are practically new Conti's - bargain right there) and the limited test drive i could do (Up and down the guys drive) showed the brakes worked nicely (no ABS to worry about) and there were no clunks clanks or thunks from the suspension.

The only problems is that the drivers door doesn't open, and there's a random puddle of water underneath the clutch pedal.

Any ideas on how to remove the drivers door card while it's shut so I can have a play with the insides?

Oh, I fitted in it fine. The sunroof could do with being a few inches wider so my head goes nicely in the slot for it, but provided I don't have the seat bolt upright I'm fine. :D

She's lovely. Drivers door doesn't open but I'll strip that down this evening. Then she's into the workshop on Saturday to have a good going over, see what needs changing.

I love the colour, personally I don't think they look all that in some of the colours (white and yellow, mainly) but its gorgeous.

Its all bone stock, as well. For the moment, at least... ;)

more than likley its the door latch mech thats sheared mate, I bought the repair kit from the guy on here that sells the beefed up one, now works a treat and dead simple to fit! Ps the nugget yellow ones look the bomb! :-) but thats maybe cause I own one :-0

Right, drivers door open - nothing even broken, just seized from being sat for a while. Sorted with copious amounts of maintenance spray and a handy wire coat-hanger.

Sadly it looks as though the heater matrix is FUBAR'd - both footwells are sopping and there's a nasty brownish staining coming from where the centre console meets the carpet.

Any good places to get a new one?

Firstly welcome and congratulations on buy a really nice car 😊 I have a G60 the same colour but mine is on a H plate. That puddle of water by the clutch pedal could be the heater matrix leaking so I would start by changing that, whilst your there check all the unused holes in the bulk head are rubber bunged up.

Well, got her up on a ramp after work this evening and she's a bit poorly.

really needs a new OS sill, both front wings, full exhaust system and a subframe, sadly. :|

Am i right in thinking that subframes are tricky to get hold of? What about body panels like Sills and wings?

As to the exhaust i'll just get one made up, possibly with a decat and fun stuff, but obviously the subframe needs doing first and foremost.

I have a pair of early front wing's from my breaker very good condition though they are dragon green so would require painting let me know and I'll get you some pic's of them if interested.

If you Pm me your email I'll get a couple of pic's for you 2moro as they are at my unit.:thumbleft: