Sign in to follow this  
Chaos

oil and water temps

after buying my car yesterday(vr6) on driving home i found i was getting oil temps of around 134 - 140 degrees at 85mph ish and higher temps at higher speeds up to a maximum of 160 degrees !!!!!

water sat around the 110 mark all the way

i was a little worried about the oil temp as u wud be.

once home i left the car sitting for 9 hours odd

i just went for a short drive and both oil and water temps hit 80 degrees within 3 miles just driving round town an doing no more than 35mph

oil from dipstick wasnt hot, engine didnt feel hot.

im guessing that maybe the oil temp sender is knackered ?????

id always intended on fitting an oil cooler anyways, prob a mocal 13 row jobbie, but does anyone know where i can buy an oil cooler kit designed for a vr6. b4 doing the kit however i do wanna get to the bottom of this massive oil temp tho

any ideas anyone.

(where is the oil temp sender located by the way?)

after buying my car yesterday(vr6) on driving home i found i was getting oil temps of around 134 - 140 degrees at 85mph ish and higher temps at higher speeds up to a maximum of 160 degrees !!!!!

water sat around the 110 mark all the way

i was a little worried about the oil temp as u wud be.

once home i left the car sitting for 9 hours odd

i just went for a short drive and both oil and water temps hit 80 degrees within 3 miles just driving round town an doing no more than 35mph

oil from dipstick wasnt hot, engine didnt feel hot.

im guessing that maybe the oil temp sender is knackered ?????

id always intended on fitting an oil cooler anyways, prob a mocal 13 row jobbie, but does anyone know where i can buy an oil cooler kit designed for a vr6. b4 doing the kit however i do wanna get to the bottom of this massive oil temp tho

any ideas anyone.

(where is the oil temp sender located by the way?)

does sound to be a bit dodgy :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: .....anyway the oil temp sender is on the oil-filter housing-type thingy :wink:

Cruising at 85 you shouldn't see much more than 110 degrees on a normally setup VR6's oil, and 80-85 degrees on the water. Either your gauges are BOTH wrong, or you ought to look into getting at least a new thermostat!

Agree with Dr Mat - I was concerned about how the newly fitted Samco hoses which omit a flow regulator from one hose would fare so on a 140 mile run mostly at 60-85mph yesterday. I saw that the oil temp didnt exceed 104C and the water 85C.

I would say these are normal figures for ambient outside temp of 18C.

Hotter weather in the south, revs over 4000pm and pulling uphill increase these figures, but I would say something is not right with your VR6, "Chaos"

In mine the oil temp and water temp always registers at 50 degrees at the same point. when I had a thermostat/sender problem the water temp increased faster than the oil temp and read high. I'd change the sender first then the thermostat.