Sign in to follow this  
junbao

German licence plates

Does anyone run these everyday, are they road legal, any one had problems with the law for them.

If its legal for a german registered car to travel on UK roads is it then illegal for a UK reg to be displayed on German style plate/lettering?

Thanks

Jon

p.s. think they look trick!

they do look tickk but from what i have heard they are illegal, although u can get the holland rear plates which are yellow and german up front to make it look more legit but i am not sure 100%

im sure someone else will post to put things straight

You could always just settle for a set of german plate surrounds from PolishedEdge or Justmatz.

Pics avalible from my Rado if your interested.

I know Valver from these forums runs German style plates.. and despite passing a whole fleet of police cars on the way to Stealth one day (where all of them had a darn good look at his car) he still wasn't pulled over. I guess it would just depend on the officer who pulled you, and how bad a day he was having.

His were white metal / black print on the front and yellow metal / black print on the rear just like UK plates.

What makes a plate german looking then? Dont understand

its the german style lettering and metal plate as opposed to the plastic ones we have here

are they road legal,

Having read through all the DVLA bumpf back when I was importing my Mk1 Rocco from D to GB, I can only say, no, the German style plates are strictly speaking not legal when the car's registered in this country. The fact that coppers haven't pulled you over might have been to do with them being fooled so well that they thought you were in a German registered car. But IF they DO pull you over and it turns out that the car's registered in the UK then I can foresee trouble, not to mention that your insurance might use the use of non-road legal plates for not having to pay when you get involved in an accident.

I decided to go legal on my Mk1, then again I wanted a cherished plate anyway :oops:

Tempest

I ran german metal plates for 3 years til I flogged my car. Swapped to plastic for the MOT got stopped once by a pair of jobsworth coppers on a sunday afternoon on my way to Blackpool.

If the spacing is correct then i think you have a good chance of getting away with it in the long run

Gavin

corradovr6sc - i can e-mail you some if you want, pm me ur e-mail address

i got stopped with having black and silver plates on, i got a producer and had to change them back, then you need to get it checked by an mot centre.

the worst that can happen is they ll give you a £30 on the spot fine.

are they road legal,

Having read through all the DVLA bumpf back when I was importing my Mk1 Rocco from D to GB, I can only say, no, the German style plates are strictly speaking not legal when the car's registered in this country. The fact that coppers haven't pulled you over might have been to do with them being fooled so well that they thought you were in a German registered car. But IF they DO pull you over and it turns out that the car's registered in the UK then I can foresee trouble, not to mention that your insurance might use the use of non-road legal plates for not having to pay when you get involved in an accident.

I decided to go legal on my Mk1, then again I wanted a cherished plate anyway :oops:

Tempest

eric i didnt realise you supported everton football club?? :wink: :lol:

eric i didnt realise you supported everton football club??

Nooooooo, the 3 letters are my initials :roll:

Everton FC, who are they? :lol:

Tempest

i bought my g60 about a month ago and its still registered as a german car, ive got german plates untill i can be bothered to register it in the uk. you are supposed to register it within 2 weeks of purchase, but i wanted to keep them on for No Rice tomorrow night. ive passed numerous copers in the last month and none of them have bat an eyelid, thy must have just presumed im a german tourist.

You should consider getting it registered, my insurance company were going to pull the plug as it was covered under the chassis number. It had been nearly 2 months mind.

I was actually at the registration office in Stretford when I got the call which meant I didn't have to lie to them..

gavin

Dubmeister sell the plates, whit on the front and yellow at the back i think the spacing is almost legal as well but they are still pressed metal plates all german stylee, £40 good deal i rekon. I think the only real things the coppers can do you for is the fact that the plates arent reflective which is a requirement here

You can get a reflective paint in either yellow or white, I know I've seen it in yellow! 8) .........come on... you must remember that epsiode of Only Fools and Horses!!! :lol:

So Then, Where in the UK sells German style UK Plates???

Scruffydubbers...where did you get yours?

Steve

You should consider getting it registered, my insurance company were going to pull the plug as it was covered under the chassis number. It had been nearly 2 months mind.

I was actually at the registration office in Stretford when I got the call which meant I didn't have to lie to them..

gavin

i know, im gonna get it done but just wanted to keep them till the end of the week. im sure the insurance company will be on my case soon if i dont sort it, its just more fun having german plates. :lol: :lol: