chefg60

Rear calipers vented disc upgrade and shaving?

Hi

I upgraded to 4 motion rear calipers and 280mm discs on rear, and want to fit carline cm6's on rear but face won't clear caliper, anyone shaved 10mm off caliper to fit wheels with low offset?

Need about 15mm extra space can spacer to about 5 mm but anymore and they will just stick out too far.

Cheers guys

Sorry can't help you with your query, but what did you have to do to fit 280 rears?

I've shaved about 5mm off MK4 calipers to get 280s behind original speedos with no problems. 10mm seemed a step too far to me, but they're pretty chunky things. The original iron calipers aren't as chunky IIRC and might fit better?

Or what about a 5mm shave and a 5mm spacer? Do 280s go straight on the standard hubs Kev? I thought it involved a fair bit of machining..

Kev had the same ones I've got,Eurospec,they are not vented,but you get a spacer to position the caliper to fit the supplied 280mm disc

I had to shave the fins of my mk4 calipers to fit behind my 15" wheels

[ATTACH]79447[/ATTACH]

You can just make out where I "shaved" the fins !

Arent they really highly priced though i cant remember exactly but im sure someone was selling some a while

Ago and wanted about 280 quid and they set up needed new disks on top of that price ! Might be mistaken though

Anyone got a linky

Matt your 16's were made to run big brakes being motorsport wheel's I imagine they suggest 17's to cover more wheel's.

wonder if John will do us a GB?? ;)

I'd be interested if he does. Although I'd be interested in him just returning my calls...

Kev had the same ones I've got,Eurospec,they are not vented,but you get a spacer to position the caliper to fit the supplied 280mm disc

I had to shave the fins of my mk4 calipers to fit behind my 15" wheels

[ATTACH]79447[/ATTACH]

You can just make out where I "shaved" the fins !

Yup, exactly that /\ !

Thays not a bad price dude until you put postage on ( 155 )

Im assuming that kit uses the calipers already on the car and the disks are the only bigger bit about it ?

Im assuming that kit uses the calipers already on the car and the disks are the only bigger bit about it ?

Thats correct, you use the original calipers and it's the disc and spacers that's required to run the larger rear disc.

Plus the import duty 4.5% and VAT ends up around £375 making it quite a costly upgrade...

Hmm i though it would be better to run bigger calipers

So the pads are the same size and the caliper piston is the same size then the only thing your gaining is a vented disk ? More cooling ??

I know the backs dont do alot anyway not sure id like to fork out that much for cooler back disks ! But i like the idea of the brakes not looking so puney asthetically

Yeah that's probably about right RB you're only really getting a bigger disc, that's why I think £375 is big money. I'm in it purely for the aesthetics, as the big front discs and tiny rears look arse...

I think the problem is the design of the hub is for taper bearings, whereas most modern/larger discs take cartridge bearings so it's a fair bit of engineering of the hub and/or discs to make it work.

I'm pretty sure I read on here somewhere there's an old Toyota(?) disc that fits but can't for the life of me I can't find the post anymore...

Edited by Jamie