Sign in to follow this  
Nick_Micouris

KNOCKING/vibration through car at slow speeds... suspension?

I have a wierd knocking/whirring sound coming from my bl**dy car now!! Whilst on the move...

Not mechanical but seems to come from the suspension side of things. Can bearings knock?? It can be felt through the floor but not the steering wheel.

coincidentally this is after fitting a set of refurbed alloys and new tyres. I thought they may be imbalanced but it seems that I get no vibration through the wheel but rather a knocking (vibration) though the car! This is only noticeable at slow speeds by the way!...

Make sure nothing's dragging too - if you've put smaller wheels on or something, it might be catching somewhere.

That's the wierd thing. They are another set of Speedlines just refurbed. I don't know if the tires could just be a harder compound and therefore noisier making a "knocking sound" ?

The tyres are BF Goodrich, the old ones were Goodyear.

Put the old wheels back on.. If it goes away you know where you stand. It could be something stupid like something inside the tyre when they fitted it...

i had my wheels balanced once and they put the balance weights in the wrong place and they caught on the callipers :roll: .....might be worth checking.

Found out what the knocking was..... THE INNER CV joint on the drivers side. You can tell by spinning the drivers side wheel - it knocks with every rotation. This is probably why it is more noticeable at slow speeds!

NOW - I will tell you a story....

Some time ago I had my local stealership replace my clutch on a private job - very cheaply.

All was good until I was tinkering under the car one day and noticed that all of the bolts on the inner CV joint boot were loose. :shock: I mean they were coming out!! They had actually split the rubber and the grease had all gone. I was lucky I noticed it. Anyway - I kicked up a fuss and they weren't willing to help much as it was a private job, but they agreed to replace the rubber boot..... Anyway - I guess the lack of grease actually damaged the CV joint so I had better change that asap....

I have a pic of the loose bolts and damaged gaitor somewhere, must show it.

Anyway - dont bother getting work done at the stealers!! :evil:

its the age old saying nick, you want it done properly, you got to do it yourself! aint much different from a dealer and a backstreet cowboy except a badge!

TRUE TRUE! what I got tired of was the mechanic reasoning his mistake by saying

"In all honesty we don't see many of these cars"..... pathetic :lol: :roll:

"in all honesty it never occurred to me that the CV might be knackered if it didn't have any grease in it"! LOL

What a bunch of prime ARSE! :)