Jamie

Bleeding brakes

Well more F*****G brakes!

Just fitted my Brembos and finally managed to get them plumbed in but I just cannot get a pedal. I've bled them and bled them over and over again - there's no air coming out at all and the fluid coming through is clean and new but the pedal has loads of travel and is very spongy. I went NSR, OSR, NSF and OSF in that order, had the car on the ground doing the rears just don't know what else to do...

Mines the same pressure bled and long pedal spot on at the bottom of travel going to run it for a week and then rebleed

Yep the abs valve is still there - I'm about to look a fool here aren't I? I've bled the master but not the ABS valve. I take it this still needs bleeding?

Did you bleed the master last?

You should only need to bleed the valves if air has got into the system but i would do them anyway now.

Other thing could be as it's all disconnected you may need to power it back up just to get fluid moving and flushed through the ABS.

The pedal will be longer with the Brembo's as they'll have a bigger piston area but if it's on the floor then something is wrong.

Sounds daft mate but are the calipers sided , my 312s wer not sided so could be used on either side of the car !! I put the bleed nipple at the top ( rooky mistake ) and tried for hours to bleed them before a mate of my dads whos a mechanic looked at it and noticed !!

The calipers wer holding air in the calipers , i whipped them round and got a pedal instantly , might be worth looking bud

Sorry mistaken again , bleed nipple at the top so i was trying to push brake fluid upwards lol sounds stupid but is easily doable

You mean you put brake nipple at the bottom of course, as they are supposed to go at the top as air rises

Yep done the master last. I've tried bleeding with everything off, just the ignition on and with the engine running. I'll give the ABS valve a bleed tomorrow - does it matter which nipple you do first? The pedals not going to the floor and once you go past the sponginess feeling the pedal is decent it's just the initial sponginess and travel is excessive imho.

Thanks for your advice Supercharged much appreciated.

Yeah maybe I should take it for a run and then bleed it again. If you get yours sorted let us know how you done it please Jon?

Yep they are sided RB and as Jon has said I'm pretty sure the nipple goes at the top...

Yep done the master last. I've tried bleeding with everything off, just the ignition on and with the engine running. I'll give the ABS valve a bleed tomorrow - does it matter which nipple you do first? The pedals not going to the floor and once you go past the sponginess feeling the pedal is decent it's just the initial sponginess and travel is excessive imho.

Thanks for your advice Supercharged much appreciated.

Yeah maybe I should take it for a run and then bleed it again. If you get yours sorted let us know how you done it please Jon?

Will do mate all ive done is replace the rear calipers as they were binding. Like you say once you get past that sponginess it stops on a penny

FFS are you joking??? I was up til 3am swapping them round so the nipples were on the bottom!

Haha !! My face was a horrible sight after i did it on the 312s lol !! First time id ever done brakes and couldnt for the life of me work out why they wouldnt work haha

The pedals not going to the floor and once you go past the sponginess feeling the pedal is decent it's just the initial sponginess and travel is excessive imho

Unfortunately you'll never get the same initial pedal as with standard sized calipers due to the fact, as Supercharged pointed out, you're increasing the relative surface area the fluid needs to fill to move the pistons. On a standard VR the piston size is 38mm diameter so an area of roughly 1130mm2. On my AP's each caliper has a 38mm piston and a 41mm piston, giving an area of roughly 2450mm2 that the same master cylinder needs to fill. That's a 117% increase in area which is why you get the initial travel and then a nice firm feel.

Just wait until you try them in anger, you get used to the travel but then they're brutal at stopping you from speed.

Even when you go up to 288 brakes, you'll loose some pedal feel as those calipers have 54mm pistons.

You Coul of course fit a master servo that was more suited to the bigger servo but then you'll run into feel problems there too!

I've got a teves20 system and 288 brakes and I can't complain but then the 2 were designed around each other.

Agree skywards nips are infinitely better than downwards facing.

That's good to know Mic thanks.

I've been running 312s with TT calipers and the pedal was spot on. Just had a nice long chat with John at JMR and I'm going to just run it (cautiously) for a week or so and see how it goes. I'll report back. Thanks all for your input - much appreciated.

Right just took it out for the first time test drive and the brakes don't seem as bad out on the road - they certainly pull up when you stamp on them! But....

Something's rubbing now! :( I f*****g hate cars!!!!

Right just took it out for the first time test drive and the brakes don't seem as bad out on the road - they certainly pull up when you stamp on them! But....

Something's rubbing now! :( I f*****g hate cars!!!!

Think about what's changed... bigger calipers so probably wheel weights rubbing

It's not the balance weights SC nowhere near the caliper. I've got an idea it's the arch liner but that seems to have clearance when stationary, it's close but doesn't look close enough to foul. I've pretty much had enough now. Pushed the car into the garage and it can stay there

Really apreciate your help Supercharged thanks mate :)