sankysvr6

G60 Oil Pressure Gauge

I am trying to fit a oil pressure gauge to my G60, but having some problems fitting the sender unit due to the lack of space.

I know some people have fitted the sender unit, to the oil feed line of the charger, but I wanted to try and fit the sender on top of the oil filter to get the true oil pressure.

So my question is can I swap the oil temperature sensor with the oil pressure sender on to top of the filter housing?

Your best option would be to fit VDO gauge and sender. With this package you can opt for a dual sender which will allow you to fit the sender in place of the OEM low pressures with on the filter head, and then you will connect the original wire that went to the switch to the warning light terminal on the new sender. The gauge wire will go to the gauge terminal on the new sender. Furthermore, to make things even more straight forward, all Corrados had the gauge wire already installed in the wiring harness. This wire is secured in the engine bay harness and usually tied back out of the way. The other end of this wire is found behind the dash centre console behind the storage pocket in front of the gear stick. Hope this helps.

The Saturday just gone, was the first time I have driven my car since fitting the oil pressure gauge.

The VDO sender I have fitted, has two connections one for the gauge and one for the warning. When I drive the car and go over 2k rpm the warning buzzer and led come on. Checked the VDO sender and it seems the connection for the warning is a normally closed. So when the the oil pressure builds the contact breaks causing the buzzer to go off.

Are there different type of senders available that are normaly open, so when the pressure builds it closes instead?

I could put a relay in, but would prefer not to.

It sounds like the pressures that your sender is set are incompatible with the vehicle. Remove the sender and let us know what your sender operating pressure are. Check your wiring and indeed your fitting location in which you have installed the sender. Of course there is always possibly the requirement to check your actual oil pressure output. I have experienced this exact fault before, and it was an incompatible oil pressure sender supplied by VDO.

I've fitted the sender on top the oil filter housing like it shows on the VW diagrams. I think the wiring is fine, as If I leave the yellow wire which is for the buzzer disconnected it will sound as soon as the revs go over 2k. If I short the yellow wire to ground all is well, which is what I have done for now so it's not annoying.

I will take the sender off and report back the findings, don't think I saw any part numbers on it.

If you can supply the correct sender, please let me know or even the part number. As this is a second hand unit that I'm using, so not sure what it's come from.

Aren't the specs on the hex on the sender, 0-5 (bar) for the gauge and 0.7? (I can't remember the value TBH) for the buzzer dash light?

I used a tee piece like this so I could use the original buzzer sensor and the gauge sender too.

The image is off google images, not my actual set up, the one here has a temp sensor inplace of the pressure sensor

I used a tee piece like this so I could use the original buzzer sensor and the gauge sender too.

The image is off google images, not my actual set up, the one here has a temp sensor inplace of the pressure sensor

Is there reason you used a set-up like this in the picture, was it because you had the same problems like I had using just the VDO sensor?

Is there reason you used a set-up like this in the picture, was it because you had the same problems like I had using just the VDO sensor?

Yes, the buzzer would sound using a used audi sender. I found the tee piece on a 1983/84 polo in a scrap yard (it was a one year only it would appear as the dash was set up for 2 sensors one below 2200 rpm, the other above 2200 rpm but there only one tapped oil gallery on the engine hence the tee piece.

I've seen them previously on Europa spares (kit car parts suppliers) 10mm X 1mm thread size for the C

Thanks Dox,

Don't think there will be enough room for one of those adapters, its tight in the engine bay as it is.

I suspect the VDO sender I have is the Audi on as well, at least I am not the only one to have this issue before.

I've found a similar 5bar sender on ebay where the seller has said the WK connection is normally open and will close the contact when the pressure rises which is what I need. Will check it out before fitting, as it will just keep things neater.

If there is still on joy, I will return the ebay item and take apart the VDO sender and see if there is anything I can do to it make it change its state.

Well new sender arrived today, and it's still the same. Not happy at all.

I've taken the original sender apart thinking I could change its state, but there is not much I can do with it.

So ordered another sender from VW Heritage which is meant to be the equivalent part, but it's still a normally closed contact for the WK connection.

So what I've done is the following,

I've moved the wire from the side of the head which i think is for low pressure and attached it to the sender. This will keep the oil light happy as when the pressure rises the light will go out.

I've also moved the yellow wire from top of the filter housing which was for the buzzer to the side of the head and also replaced the sender with the high pressure sender which was on the filter housing originally.

So my thinking is if the pressure from the head, which also feed the charger falls bellow 1.4 bar at 2000 rpm it will break the circuit and sound the buzzer.

Does this sound okay, as by doing this everythin looks factory with just a couple of extended wires.