16VG60

Practical Classics 90's Coupe Supertest

In the article a VR6 Corrado is compaired alongside other 90's Coupes like Alfa GTV6 and Fiat Coupe Turbo etc.

After having been asked if I would like to run a company advert alongside this article, I have never been so relieved that something never happened! I have just purchased a copy of this edition, and read their account of the Corrado.

Well guys and girls, my summary of the article is, save your money! Four paragraphs of generic drivel, loaded with inaccurate factoids, ie "Passat derived rear suspension" and the ABV engine having "24 valve cylinder head" mmmmm!

The article is generally complimentary to the VR6, but come one Ed get your research together please. Just my opinion.ab29b6901570bbcfef4ba8bc9b0d479c.jpg

I agree it is littered with inaccuracies & judging by recent sales of excellent examples the prices listed are fairly out of sync with trend.

however, it is complimentary in many ways & implies one of the main reasons why we are all on this forum, which is the way that people (when they are in the know or have owned a rado) falling love with the plethora of pleasures they provide :D

thanks for posting a copy of it John

PS i love the way the corrado gets another write up referencing porsche (caption in the top right photo)

Some fairly major inaccuracies in this write up. It does make you wonder about the rest of the magazine! From my experience the biggest issue is probably the abs system, I would advise anyone to check this and ensure the warning lights are functioning correctly. Also if trim is missing or damaged, replacements will not be available from the factory and can be difficult to source. It would have been nice to see the 'Corrado Forum' mentioned as great resource for owners and fans.

to be fair it's not a bad summary??

OK the no. of valves is a daft mistake but the rest is basically true, the rear suspension/beam is close in design to the Passat although the part no.s are mainly various incarnations of golf, the factory long life exhausts were very good although not strictly stainless steel and everything else bar the strange rusty brake disks comment is pretty right IMO

I'd probably warn about high mileage VR6 engines though, as they are so costly to rebuild if they become oil-burners

I'm not sure I like the way I've also been highlighted as an 'inaccurate factiod' in your copy. :) (I know I was due a haircut at the time but....)

What can I say? I had an ace day out and the bloke who wrote the article was a proper Corrado fan who was there at the original launch and had nothing but compliments for them.

The conclusion he came to came as no real surprise to me.

I was slightly disappointed at the reference to the fictional 24 valve head but I always thought the back axle was 'Passat derived' too (and I've been driving Corrados for the last 16 years).

Hi Lenny,

Sincere apologies for the inappropriate use of highlighter pen, in respect to your likeness in the mag article. Indeed Sir you are not "an inaccurate factoid" how can you be, you are a Corrado owner to detail just one of your fine attributes, I couldn't possibly comment on your haircut :-)

I agree that the article was very gushing, regarding the Corrado, and I'm sure your day was totally an enjoyable experience. I would just have preferred to read a more accurate account of the technical aspects from such a respected Magazine. I too was at the UK Corrado launch, and as a result of which have been a Corrado owner for 22 years.

My wish is never to cause offence, moreover, an overriding wish to see the infrequent glimpses the Corrado has in the media limelight, worthy in every way to this great Coupe.