deamon90002004

g60 charger swap for something like a merc or bmw mini?

hey all, my supercharger decided to crack itself in a couple of places and grind itself up at the sametime, so i want to swap it out with something else as a new one under £1k is hard to come by, could i use one off a mini or a merc with little modification? or maybe know where i can get a charger from?

Think it's the eaton M45 on the mini, which is apparently a little small so not much to be had by way of tuning. The eaton M62 from the slk? Is apparently more suited and a better option for tuning potential should you wish in the future.

yeah, im not after uprating, just reliability as my g60 has gone pop (luckily not put anything into the block) and g60 chargers are hard to come by, where as minis are everywhere, but would it be as simple as unbolt g60 bolt on m45 and new belt?

There's a lot more work than unbolting the G60 and bolting in an Eaton. You would have to fashion a bracket to hold the Eaton charger. The boot pipe outlets are in different locations so you would have to make some modifications to the pipe work and realistically as the boost characteristics are different a re-map would be best for the engine if you are looking for reliability. For their size the Eaton chargers arent as efficient as the G-lader anyway so without extensive work you would loose engine performance any how

My advise would be to find a good, second hand G-lader and have it serviced before you fit it. Chargers can be found for 300-400 pounds on eBay and the likes. In regards to servicing check out http://www.johnmitchellracing.co.uk for pricing.

If you find a charger for the right price you can purchase it and have it serviced and see change from a grand.

Troy.

I have to agree. The replacement supercharger may be a lot cheaper but the work involved on getting it on the car (unless you're capable of all the design and fabrication work required, plus remapping the engine, etc) is going to outweigh any potential savings there. Sadly there is nothing out there that is a plug and play replacement for the G-Lader.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-CORRADO-1-8-G60-PG-GOLF-RALLYE-G-LADER-SUPERCHARGER-COMPRESSOR-/221449314661?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item338f686165

G-Lader above is £400 'Buy it now' - then get it to someone like JMR or OCD for a rebuild which is approx £300 I believe.