fla

installing dash speakers

I've got a replacement set of tweeters to fit in the dash but was wondering if there was a way to use the black circular speaker surrounds which hold the original nokia speakers. If not, what would be the best way to install these? They look almost the same diameter as the nokias, around 3cm.

i have some infinity 2 way speakers in the dash of the valver but could not get the factory grill to ever fit over them & as such is just kind of rested on top

i went the other way with the VR though & disconnected the teeny tiny dash speaker / tweeter & upgraded the door speakers to infinity kappa 5&1/4's, so as to match up with the kappa 6*9's & am chuffed to bits with the outcome

are you running decent component speakers or what is the thinking behind upgrading the tweeters (if not upgrading the other speakers)

I've got a replacement set of tweeters to fit in the dash but was wondering if there was a way to use the black circular speaker surrounds which hold the original nokia speakers. If not, what would be the best way to install these? They look almost the same diameter as the nokias, around 3cm.

use the old black plastic as a surround for the new one, the exterior diameter of the tweeters is the same simply pop out the old ones and glue (glue gun ideally) the new ones in there place, then t all goes back together sweet as.

Thanks for that. EJ, how exactly do they pop out? I'm afraid i'll break somehting i shouldnt!!

Goldf1ng3r - i've got some audioscapes in the doors with 6.5" speakers so really needed a bit of a tweeter to go with that. What do you think?

Thanks for that. EJ, how exactly do they pop out? I'm afraid i'll break somehting i shouldnt!!

Goldf1ng3r - i've got some audioscapes in the doors with 6.5" speakers so really needed a bit of a tweeter to go with that. What do you think?

good move, the after market 6.5 pods are a much needed item when it comes to sound, worst thing about the C though is the fact the cones are mounted to the door card itself, so there are literally no acoustics, near on impossible to achieve a good sound this way, now my cage is complete me and the lads at the shop are going to start planing/ designing my custom door cards/ door builds, somehow incorporating some sort of substantial enclosure for 1 (maybe 2) 6.5s to enable A+ acoustic properties,

sorry back to the question, the mesh grills pop of easily with a trim tool (avoid screw drivers if possible as they are a bit aggressive) this will expose a black plate (roughly 4" in diameter), to remove this its simply 3 (maybe 4 cant remember) screws, once removed push/ cut and snap the old tweeter out of the black plastic housing (it does come out just give it some ****) leave the hole as small as possible so you new tweeter just squeezes in, thin simply run a bead of hot glue to the under side to secure it in place, Also remember to use bullet connectors making possible need to remove in future a doddle! Anything else just holla!

sound & speaker choice is each to their own really & it depends on how far you want to go, IE all components or 2/3-way's, & how much you want to spend (costs can get silly)

personally, over the all the years of installing dash, fronts, rear 6*9's & subs etc of many variations my personal favourite for balancing superb clarity across the range, excellent power handling (always in RMS never look at max power output etc) & cost is the infinity kappa range

at present i run a sony DSX-S100 ipod only head unit with 4*55 watt RMS output, 52.9i 5+1/4's in the doors, 693.9i 6*9's in the parcel shelf & a very small amp & 10" kenwood sub - the sound & clarity is awesome (in fact the treble output had to be turned down as it is so clear its ear piercing lol) & TBH i can probably loose the sub but i want to change it for an infinity amp/sub integrated unit

I brought my 52.9i's from car audio direct & having had a look they do a 6.5" kappa version http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/infinity-kappa-62-11i-16-5cm-225w-speakers which would fit your audioscape pods & remove the need for dash tweeters

by all means if anyone is in the west mids area & wants a listen id be happy to meet

finally - having installed some tiny infinity speakers in the dash in the valver many years ago (which remarkably are still in there when i brought it back) i personally wouldnt bother with the dash UNLESS going in the components direction

hope that helps fla

edit: oh i should mention that the sony head unit has a DSO function which is specifically designed to work with door mounted speakers

the mesh grills pop of easily with a trim tool (avoid screw drivers if possible as they are a bit aggressive)

I used a plastic tyre lever from my bike toolbox :)

I used a plastic tyre lever from my bike toolbox :)

anything like that haha, ive used on of those many a time for trim removal etc.

and as far as tweeters/ speakers go your better of getting components (with cross overs) due to the rado tweeters being right in front of you, as Gold finger said when set up incorrectly the tweeters can be way to over powering, having cross overs gives you the control over the high pass filter, failing this you could just get a nice high end head unit with a digital HPF function built in. personally i would go for JL Audio C2's or the Alpine Type R's but as your going 6.5 your options are endless! stick to the main brands make sure you spend on or over £100 and you'll be fine! By all means post links to ones your considering on here if you want opinions!

anything like that haha, ive used on of those many a time for trim removal etc.

and as far as tweeters/ speakers go your better of getting components (with cross overs) due to the rado tweeters being right in front of you, as Gold finger said when set up incorrectly the tweeters can be way to over powering, having cross overs gives you the control over the high pass filter, failing this you could just get a nice high end head unit with a digital HPF function built in. personally i would go for JL Audio C2's or the Alpine Type R's but as your going 6.5 your options are endless! stick to the main brands make sure you spend on or over £100 and you'll be fine! By all means post links to ones your considering on here if you want opinions!

not sure if you know EJ but the Kappa range of infinity speakers all have their own individual in line passive cross overs & a 2ohm nominal impedence to cater for those who dont install chunky wires & use the very thin factory stuff.

(ahhh just seen your signature, forgive me if im saying stuff you already know lol)

i agree in principal that if budget allows then go components but as with everything it depends on how far you want to go & how much you want to spend

if it helps quantify my setup, headunit + 5.25's + 6*9's (minus the sub/amp), was under £250 with some savvy shopping :D

PS im not plugging infinity, its just my experience

Thanks for the help GF and EJ.

I've got a set of crossovers which i will be using - one in the passenger shelf the other in the steering column shelf. So hopefully that should be sorted out. I'll have a go at removing the tweeters from the surround, i guess as they wont be used it doesn't really matter if they break. The main objective is to keep the circular mounting plate.

Just a few basic questions regarding wiring:

Head unit to crossover input

Outputs to each of the door speaker and dash speaker

And that's it?

not sure if you know EJ but the Kappa range of infinity speakers all have their own individual in line passive cross overs & a 2ohm nominal impedence to cater for those who dont install chunky wires & use the very thin factory stuff.

(ahhh just seen your signature, forgive me if im saying stuff you already know lol)

i agree in principal that if budget allows then go components but as with everything it depends on how far you want to go & how much you want to spend

if it helps quantify my setup, headunit + 5.25's + 6*9's (minus the sub/amp), was under £250 with some savvy shopping :D

PS im not plugging infinity, its just my experience

Honestly ive not had much dealings with Infinity man, 2 ohm would be ideal though for the situation in question as going down to 2 from 4 cut alot of the mega high (piecing) Herts, and focuses more on mid, i was considering bridging the amp i got lined up for the same reason. and no worries man more input the better from Fla's point of view.

Also i have heard nothing buy hype about these infinity speakers on this forum so by no means am i saying avoid them! im just a JL Alpine lover haha (nothing to do with the fact we build all the alpine demo cars and we build the JL Audio Beetle :shrug::afro:) haha

Thanks for the help GF and EJ.

I've got a set of crossovers which i will be using - one in the passenger shelf the other in the steering column shelf. So hopefully that should be sorted out. I'll have a go at removing the tweeters from the surround, i guess as they wont be used it doesn't really matter if they break. The main objective is to keep the circular mounting plate.

Just a few basic questions regarding wiring:

Head unit to crossover input

Outputs to each of the door speaker and dash speaker

And that's it?

dude as far as cross overs go just get the wiring diagram to your car, (always nice to have one to hand) you'll see one wire from the stereo goes to each front door speaker, this is daisy chained off to the tweeter, after disconnecting both speaker trace the wire from the back of the head unit, connect that to the cross over, then connect (existing or new) your tweeter cable to the bit on the cross over marked tweeter and the same for the cone. [ATTACH=CONFIG]79733[/ATTACH]

its pretty simple tbh mate youll figure it out :)

you're right the speakers just pop out of the bottom - they're only stuck on so a quick lift with a flat blade screwdriver and they're out.

Now the tweeters have a base section to angle the speakers towards the cabin rather than the windscreen, so once i've cut the centre section of the plastic disc they will still sit proud meaning the speaker grilles wont fit on top. Not a bad thing but was wondering what aesthetic tips and solutions have been used to remedy this?

i thought i'd post up my modification to the dash tweeters, following advice from EJ Taylor about removing the original nokias. I fitted two Alpines i had from a few years back. Basically popped off the speaker magnet from underneath, cut the centre out with the dremel cutting attachment and finished it off, with the dremel sanding disc. The speaker support base now fits nice and tightly, although the original grilles wont fit so i'll have to think of a solution there.

Looks awesome what you have done so far though man!! Well done!! guno go pop my grill of and have a look at mine now as it's annoying me yours won't fit and I did them so long ago I'm wondering if there's something I forgot to tell you

Thanks EJ.Its just the height clearance and that the tweeters sit in a recess which only has a certain depth. I might make a surround for the tweeter and cover it in leather to tidy things up a bit or maybe tweak the grill to fit back