Sign in to follow this  
BlueVR6

Timing chains/tensioners ????

Hello People,

A few quick questions on the timing chain and tensioners on a VR6.

One of my mates said to me that cos the corrado has a timing chain i wont need to worry about it, unlike some other cars that have timing belts instead.

After reading some threads its obviously not that simple.

So was wondering what i should be looking out for in my car that has done 100k, and is this the time to start worrying about it! :( The car has FSH so does this mean they should be in good nick any way

Cheers folks

The biggest thing is - LISTEN TO IT. If there's a clattering noise, kinda like marbles in a can, coming from the gearbox (right hand) side of the engine, then you want to start thinking about getting them checked. The noise will be at it's worst at about 1200 rpm.

The chains very *rarely* fail completely, but the engine really doesn't run right unless the chain is nice and tight (as you might imagine!).

I *have* seen a couple of cars being advertised for sale as "spares or repair" due to engine failure after the chains give up. But more commonly is the chains slipping a tooth and bending a few valves.

Oh, and by the way, it seems the VR6 tensioner setup can last anywhere between 75-80k miles and 190k miles, depending on how the car is treated (presumably).

Mines done 124k now and i presumme is still on the original chain, Its not too bad/loud at all, I'm gettin my changed next month for piece of mind more then anythin.

Yeah motorway miles are less brutal on the tensioning pads.

The *only* way to be sure is by visual inspection of the upper tensioning pad. This can be done by removing the rocker cover. The chains aren't always noisy when the upper pad is worn. 100K is the ball park figure for getting this work done, which requires the gearbox to be dropped. A good time to do the clutch and crankshaft seal too.

Discuss with your mechanic to get an exact price but again, loose figures are £200 for chain parts + around 6 - 8 hours labour, depending on garage competency/previous experience of this work.

K