thesingh

Full Respray £1000

Im sure this topic has been discussed but the search function is poor.

My car is in need for a full respray, but I don't really want to pay £1500 - £2000 for a full respray on a 2.0 8v. Can any one recommend a place preferably close to London who can do a decent job in less than £1000?

I understand I wont get a show car finish with that budget. Thanks for any suggestions.

A guy I used up in Nuneaton (so, not really need London unfortunately) reckoned he could do a decent job on 'most of the car' for that sort of budget (he works to £100/panel) and indeed he did some reasonable work on my car. I guess it's achievable but not sure I'd do it personally.

having given up a fair amount of hard earned cash for the paint work i had done, both sides & bonnet, i would never skimp on cost again

the 'reputable' body shop didnt do all of the work agreed, they were meant to paint up to roof rail line on both sides but only went up to bottom of door window on passenger side & didnt remove the door handle either, & the bonnet has ended up with micro blistering all over it as either the panel wasnt cleaned properly or their airline or spray booth were contaminated in some way

i would rather have the old 'night sky' stone chipped bonnet than one with millions of bl00dy pimples. i think even old faded & marked paint looks better than a shoddy respray

good luck if you go for it but please beware

having given up a fair amount of hard earned cash for the paint work i had done, both sides & bonnet, i would never skimp on cost again

the 'reputable' body shop didnt do all of the work agreed, they were meant to paint up to roof rail line on both sides but only went up to bottom of door window on passenger side & didnt remove the door handle either, & the bonnet has ended up with micro blistering all over it as either the panel wasnt cleaned properly or their airline or spray booth were contaminated in some way

i would rather have the old 'night sky' stone chipped bonnet than one with millions of bl00dy pimples. i think even old faded & marked paint looks better than a shoddy respray

good luck if you go for it but please beware

Thanks mate, I understand the risks. Is £1000 still not enough for a respray?

The first question is how bad is your car? Does it really justify a full respray?

Is there any corrosion / lot of dents that will need to be sorted?

Are you willing to do any prep work?

My initial feeling is £1K is just not enough for a full re-spray in or around London.

If I was you i'd save my money and put it towards a better car if it really is that bad.

Howabout plastidip? I have been considering doing this to mine, (maybe only for a year or so)

http://www.matt-pack.co.uk/

http://www.youtube.com/user/MattPackcouk

Not really thought about it. Il look more into this option.

The first question is how bad is your car? Does it really justify a full respray?

Is there any corrosion / lot of dents that will need to be sorted?

Are you willing to do any prep work?

My initial feeling is £1K is just not enough for a full re-spray in or around London.

If I was you i'd save my money and put it towards a better car if it really is that bad.

Car does need a full respray. One side is faded the other side has been repainted at some point of its life but lacquer is started to peal. I have 2 dents one on the door which is not deep or look to bad and the other one is at the jacking point where the car fell on the jack. All 4 arches have are starting to bubble and developing rust with one out of the 4 looking really bad.

Sorry for the silly question but what involved in the prep work? Id be happy to give anything a go if I am able to.

I could get spend a bit more and get another Corrado, maybe a VR6 or a G60 but my car is mechanically fit its never let me down and has passed its last 2 MOT with 1 advisory and stupidly cheap to insure. I am only thinking twice about the cost of it due to it being an 8v. It is my daily runner so a show car finish is not required, I just want it to look good.

I have a painter available to me in bristol who does weekend work. Now arguably the quality of his work is very good and it's baked in a booth etc, but he'd be over a grand even supplying paint/materials at cost and without charging a 'proper' hourly rate.

I can't imagine you'd find a bodyshop prepared to take the work on for £1k and if you did I can't imagine anyone being happy with the job done!

I've had someone near Plymouth offer me "a quick blow over" :camp: for £650, so there are people about who will do it, but I wouldn't expect it to last very long at all.

I've had someone near Plymouth offer me "a quick blow over" :camp: for £650, so there are people about who will do it, but I wouldn't expect it to last very long at all.

I paid £600 cash for both sides & the bonnet but if i had the choice again i wouldnt part with the cash & it was a very reputable bodyshop in my area

It looked lovely when first came out the bodyshop, pics of fresh paint are on my build thread, but as previously mentioned they cut corners (didnt remove passenger door handle), didnt do exactly what was agreed (only went up to roof rail on 1 side not both), broke my central locking (probably done when they removed the one door handle), & worst of all they either had a dirty spray booth, contaminated air line or didnt clean the panel properly & my bonnet descended into a million mass of micro blisters.....some of which have now popped & left their own bl00dy pattern on the panel

in essence do not skimp on prep or paint as you will only be disappointed in the end

£1000 won't even cover the prep work.

Labour costs to fix the rust, dents and sand it back will be high. Even higher if new metal needs welding in, or new panels.

Once the shell is in a fit state to receive new paint, you'll need a couple of litres of base and another couple of laquer, depending on requirements. You can anything from £200 to £1000+ just in paint.

Most paint shops who care about their reputation will not take your job on for that budget. To get anything near factory standard you'll need £4 - £5K

Personally I would just treat the rust, rattle can it and save the money for a proper job, otherwise just sell the car and buy one that doesn't need a respray.

Iv done all my own prep to save money , started by stripping the car of all its components like mirrors bumpers slam panel bla bla bla

Then iv marker penned all areas that needed attention ! Not that many but im leaving that to the body shop , iv removed all the glass my self with a mate whos a screen fitter ( lucky )

Then iv removed all the interior , and done all the tediouse work like stripping all the left over window sealant of the edges of the windows and iv also ground back most of the rust ready for the body shop to make a final finish on it

Iv then prepped the full car getting rid of all the stone chips and blemishes from the paint going from around 120 grit in the worse places and the car now stands fully prepped at 320 waiting for a final prep and finish before it goes to high build

This up to now has cost me about 70 quid for sand papers and panel wipes etc

Im pretty confident that this would have cost best part of a grand in labour for a body shop to do

Iv also had a quote of my mate who is painting the car and its come in at 460 and thats for the high build primer , a solvent dragon green base coat and a good quality glasurit laquer

Just for your info the body shop is doing the last prep and arch rolling and a few other body mods and he is charging me between 600 to 800 quid and then wer lending the booth as we know the owner and my mate is painting it for free basically ( again very lucky ) and then i will be rebuilding the full car my self bar the screen

Then iv marker penned all areas that needed attention !

This concerns me slightly! The bodyshop that painted my old car did this and a chemical in the marker stayed in the primer leaving circle halo's in the finished paint. They had to strip back both sides and repaint. I think you're supposed to use something like a poska paintpen - check with your prep guy!

Cheers bristol ill make sure i double check and triple check !!

Its not a big fat marker , just a small thin line around each area that has a ding in there , there is not that many , i got told to leave the shiney paint on so the dints whee easier to spot on the car , they will be sanded out and the full car has been wiped with thinners and then about ten times with a proper body shop panel wipe , i was already slightly paranoid about contaminating the car with the silicone and sealents that was coming from the window seals and stuff like that

I'm sure you'll be find bud, just wouldn't want to not mention it and see a future thread where you mention the same thing I had! It was really weird.. I'd checked the car over and was about to leave when I spotted a circle, then more, then more! :censored:

Thanks all for your input, I have my answer to the question. Suppose next question is it worth restoring an 2.0 8v ? hmmm As I said before, Mechanically the engine is fit. My feeling is sell up and get a VR6 or a G60.

Thanks all for your input, I have my answer to the question. Suppose next question is it worth restoring an 2.0 8v ? hmmm As I said before, Mechanically the engine is fit. My feeling is sell up and get a VR6

Fixed that for you

If you have no attachment to it then it's probably not worth it. It'll never be worth chucking money at any Corrado if your thinking about resale values. I'd chop it in for a good condition VR if the above is true.