Hairyarse

My 2.0 16v

I thought it was about time I started a 'build' thread for my tinkerings and goings-on with the Corrado.

Today it was time to lose the crystal rear lights and go back to standard. I have to say I'm surprised I had any lights at all - either attached to the car or working!! The light units were barely secured on, despite not moving around in the body and the loom kit for the crystal lights had just got the wire ends twisted with the original wires and taped with electrical tape!

Firstly, much thanks to Leon for his great post on how I should wire up the new bulb holders, thanks mate! - http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=88419&p=1043846&viewfull=1#post1043846

Naturally I had to take the obligatory half 'n' half shot;

2014-09-18182930_zps5c02e29c.jpg

...however there was no debate on how this was going to end;

2014-09-18195227_zpsda92b6f7.jpg

You may notice from the second pic that it was dark when I finished. I was thinking it would be a quick job, but due to some cruddy connections I had problems with the reverse and fog lights choosing to either not work, or work randomly after disconnecting and re-connecting them. After a lot of messing about and cleaning contacts - and 3 hours later it was done!!

Much more time than anticipated but I like the look, it looks much better me thinks :-D

Good work mate never understood how people can just bodge wires together without thinking of the consequences

Lets have some side pics then bud

I know, drives me crackers, it's not exactly hard to do it well, even if you can't solder!!

Here's a couple of shots from when I got the car;

2014-09-03132145_zps9be397e4.jpg

2014-09-03132123_zpsa8dc91c6.jpg

2014-08-20114233_zps9bf5ca6f.jpg

A number of little bits and pieces to sort, not least the running issues, so if anyone has any pointers I'd be very grateful ;) http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=88451&page=2&p=1044392#post1044392

Thank you, do I take it from your comment that they're not standard?

Hmmm im not sure m8 - my blackberry VR has silver rear badges

It was more of a visual comparison with my white valver as i chose to colour code the VW badge & corrado script badge when i sprayed the rear bumper prior to selling it years ago

Ah ok. I like the silver although they're a little tatty. With the black VW badge though I'm not sure if one day I'll make them all the same!

Last night I fitted the upgraded headlight loom I purchased recently. It's made a great difference, along with some super bright bulbs. I did take before and after pics but they look the same so wont post them! lol

One question however, tucked inside the NS wing I found this and it's unplugged;

2014-09-20171757_zpsd4e90491.jpg

I've got one on my MK2 Golf I know - I've got ballast resistor in my head but don't know if this is true or any clue what it does?? Can anyone tell me and should I plug it back in? (There's two yellow plugs disconnected, one of which goes to this.

Lovely clean clean looking car you have there

Thanks Graham. The camera lies a little though as the paint isn't great. I love it though!

Its the ballast maye you dont need it plugged in i dont think if your running a headlight loom

Oh yeah good point, it wont do anything!! lol

So today at last I thought I should see what loom was lurking behind the dash for the ABS light so I could buy one and fit it. I removed what I thought was a second switch blank and look what was stuck to the back of it!!

2014-09-23145934_zpse6d5a8e5.jpg

Someone had expertly cut out some electrical tape to the shape of the centre oval and covered out the light so you'd never know. Needless to say, I know have an ABS light that wont go out! :thumbleft:

2014-09-23153619_zps9ca33a88.jpg

I guess it was to be expected really, on to the search now to find the fault lol

It astonishes me really that people do this. Why not just fix the problem? It could just be as simple as a sensor! Good luck getting to the bottom of it :)

The ABS on them really can be a pain but as Jim says why not just fix it! Some people shouldn't be allowed near cars, there is trying then there is being dangerous..

Good work mate, these little jobs do satisfy you when you have sorted them

Adam

My blue tint mirror glasses arrived today so got them fitted. I'm pleased with the end result although was a little annoyed that the two spade connections for the wires are in the wrong place for the backing plates, so had to cut holes in mine which was a bit of a faff!

Anyway, they're on now and visibility is certainly much better. Excuse the rubbish pic! lol

2014-10-02175915_zps7cebf2cc.jpg

This evening I got rid of a couple of little annoyances with the car. Firstly, my heater blower motor has been noisy the last couple of weeks. I had a search around here yesterday and found this thread - http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=88117&highlight=blower+motor

I ordered one and it turned up this morning on courier! Can't ask for more than that ;)

As stated in the thread the removal is dead easy. The two spade connectors that go on to the terminals of the resistor pack were very loose, even though they have the OEM style locking tabs but that was soon sorted with crimping them on tighter. However, as soon as I touched the plastic tab that holds the resistor pack in place, it snapped which was a tad annoying. I managed to hold it in place with a metal cable tie around the whole assembly. My OCD couldn't handle that something new is a little 'bodged' now, but it has no bearing on the operation and I can't see it! :cool:

So went from this;

2014-11-12165651_zps01e6cf8c.jpg

to this;

2014-11-12165723_zpsea090323.jpg

The other job (at last!!) was to remove my heater control panel, stick foam tape to the outer edges, then refit it. The drive home from work was lovely - no more squeaking!! I've been meaning to do this since I got the car and having done this and the blower motor there's not a squeak or rattle to be heard from the car which is amazing - such a solid little motor ;)

...oh I forgot to mention/ask.

When I first put the motor in it made a high-pitched 'rubbing' noise. I took the motor out again and found this filer lurking about where the motor sits;

2014-11-12184115_zps9c36c26b.jpg

Is this original? To me it looks like it's just been cut off another filter and shoved up there!

It's not original. Think your right and it's been shoved in. The only ones I've ever seen are I think pipercross. They are shaped to the cover and sit on top, but these are also no longer made. Some just get a cheap cabin filter, cut it to shape and secure it with a rubber band.

Fitted the short shift kit from Dave today. Wow, what a transformation!! :) It's got rid of the one thing I didn't like about the car :thumbleft:

Money very well spent and I can't recommend it enough if you've not already done this. It doesn't take too long, it's just one of those fiddly jobs to do, but easy enough.

Thanks Dave - I love it!! :cool: