Liam20vT

ticking/clicking noise

Afternoon chaps,

A few days ago I noitced a ticking sound coming from the passenger front wheel/ underneath the car sort of like a tick,tick,tick,tick which increases with speed. Now it only happens when I put my foot on the throtlle, take my foot off and it stops? Its not exactly very loud and there are no strange noises on idle.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Liam

I would go with taking the wheel off and inspect the general area for obvious stuff like loose bolts etc etc. Might be a cv joint/ drive shaft problem or wheel bearing noisy under load? Try spinning the wheel see what you got.

See if putting the clutch down while driving makes it go away or not, can be a good way to dismiss the gearbox

Yeah get that corner up in the air and spin the wheel by hand. The splash shield rubbing on a particular point is quite common. I've also had it when I just had new tyres fitted. The chimps at ProTyre fitted the weights right in line with the caliper, and it was just catching the top edge on every revolution. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately my jack is currently broken so wont be able to get the wheels into the air at the moment.

Jim - Dipping the clutch does indeed stop the noise, aswell as lifting off the throttle.

Sean- I dont think it will be the splash sheild as I have very low offset wheels and 15mm pcd adapters so the wheels are quite pokey.

I had a look at the cv joint as suggested by Ray and noitced there was the very slightest of play at the inner cv end, could this be the cause? Would a worn out inner CV joint make a ticking noise?

Thanks again people.

My experiences with a duff CV joints was to drive in a tight circle (full lock) and they usually click and tick as you drive it under load.

Update:

I took the rado to a garage on Monday to get the cv joint looked at. After they had a look they assured me nothing was wrong, funnily enough the noise stopped the day before I took it in to them. Obviously I thought this was great news as I didnt have to spend any money.

Driving home yesterday I came of a roundabout and accelerated pretty hard, heard a loud bang and lost all drive. Great.....

Had a look under the bonnet and suprise suprise the suspected CV joint had come loose and twisted itself, fanbloodytastic!