Diesel2000

Handbrake Cover Removal - Guide (ish)

I needed to remove the handbrake sleeve on my 16v today as the gaiter was missing. I googled how to remove the sleeve and couldn't really find a definitive guide with people saying they had broke the tab, forced it off etc., and various different methods (push tab up, push tab down etc.)

This method worked for me with no scraped knuckles. Im not saying its right, I'm just saying it worked every time I tried it.

Sorry if this is basic stuff, but hopefully it helps at least one person not to break their sleeve or graze their knuckles.

Ive never done a guide before so go easy. The only tool you need is a flat blade stumpy screwdriver and maybe a rag to protect the sleeve when you apply pressure.

1. Under the handbrake sleeve towards the rear locate the small plastic pin that protrudes about 2-3mm

IMAG0482_zpsac715e1b.jpg

2. Use the flat blade screwdriver to push the pin backwards using the bump on the sleeve base for leverage.

IMAG0484_zpsc8850562.jpg

IMAG0486_zpsf37fcb36.jpg

3. Gently pull the sleeve forwards while maintaining pressure on the pin.

IMAG0487_zpsaebac51b.jpg

Job done, no need to pull with any huge amount of force whatsoever. Ive had a look over my sleeve and it doesn't look like its been off before so I would imagine that using this method would work for all plastic sleeves (can't comment on leather). I have also read that you should actually be pushing the pin the opposite way to what I have shown but by trying this you have nothing to lever against.

As said, this worked for me several times with no damage caused.

Slightly easier i imagine on a plastic cover than a leather one. Good guide though mate as they are a bugger to remove when you dont know how