seanl82

Foam around interior loom

Getting the car back next week and the first job is to replace the entire interior wiring loom. As with most things, after 20 years its seen better days and has crumbled away almost entirely. Anyone know where I can get some replacement stuff, or what its actually called as I'm struggling to find it? Dimensions of the original stuff would be nice too, but not critical. Thanks all!

Be interested to know the answer to this too. I did a bit of Googling but came up blank on this, as obviously when I did my heater matrix it was like the devils dandruff with that foam just disintegrating everywhere! :(

I looked for ages and couldn't find anything. If you really want to do it I reckon the best thing to do would be to buy a thin sheet of foam and wrap it round the loom and glue it along the length creating a seam, but it wouldn't look as good, and would almost certainly require loom removal. I went with spiral wrap in the end, but it doesn't look oe. You can also get the expandable plastic braid which can look really nice when done well and has good sound deadening properties.

I wonder if you can get a wide foam tape?

Trouble with the foam sleeves is you have to take off all the multi pin connectors, a lot of work.

Thats a good point actually Kip, I'd kind of overlooked that! :embarrassed:

The single sided stuff is what I've been looking at to be honest. It's probably the only stuff I'll be able to source that will work relatively well anyway by the sound of it. There's plenty on ebay and provided its not to dense or thick, it should work well and stick nicely. I can cable tie it up every ft or so anyway to keep some tension there and ensure it doesn't unwrap as soon as its in!

i've been doing something similar in my car with most of the dash out. I'm using fabric loom tape and strips of self adhesive felt from Hobbycraft wrapped around various parts of the loom. I dont really want to clump wires together just in case i need to separate them at a later stage. Its a slow iterative process of what goes where and you need to shake everything well to replicate potential new noises.

Also remember that neoprene types of foams can add padding but also introduce a lot of new squeaks!