delfinis38

treating leather seats....

thinking of treating my leather seats with something advice required......

the seats are in original condition the car having only covered less than 40K and never been treated with anything.....

the seats aren't worn but the drivers bolster is starting to show signs of drying / leather cracking.

ideally I only want to treat the bolster with something but don't want to change the colour or shine of the leather so it doesn't match with the rest of seats / door cards.

advice required

TA

from what i learnt while deciding on leather care, cleaning on a regular basis is the best thing you can do. Most leather products are a sealed leather so won't really absorb these creams like they tell you. Also not all of a car interior is real leather, a lot of it will be vinyl.

I found a lot of the conditioners just sit on top of the leather and any difference is temporary, you seem to end up with smelly clothes and a slippy seat for a couple of weeks.

Have used the meguiars stuff, the gliptone kit, a kit from the furniture clinic and now using some german stuff which is a sort of cleaner/conditioner in one, Seems to remove more dirt than any other i've used, i'm just struggling to find a link or remember what its called.

Tbh i think they are all very similar, little and often is the best approach.

The furniture clinic stuff is the best I've used, although maybe a little hard to compare after the furniture clinic refurb I did. Before I used Gliptone which I thought was good, but the cleaner is a bit gloopy so you tend to use quite a lot. Most modern leather is sealed yes, it has a lacquer layer to give it the matt/satin/gloss shine, but the conditioners are essential. They don't need to penetrate into the leather, as the actual leather rarely cracks unless it's far gone. what actually cracks is the paint (yes it's painted, how else would there be so many colours!). This is what the conditioner keeps moist and supple.

I was using mine for about 50miles a day so probably didn't help. Could only leave it about 12hrs before having to drive to work.

great info Jim, thank you!

when tim was discussing it with me he said he had used gliptone product on the 944 he was having restored.

he mentioned that cracks in the leather happen due to the fatty cells we all secrete & that he applied a gliptone product & then used a tea towel & a very cool iron - the process of ironing the leather with the towel in between is so that it draws the fatty cells into the towel & thus reduces the cracks

i have been meaning to give this a try for quite some time now but just havent had chance - it would be interesting to see if it works

I use Gliptone on mine and it seems to work pretty well if you want to keep the leather supple. I've also used it on TT's I've owned plus the current 911. One treatment per year seems to do the trick:)