rickdonald

Windscreen seal trim (Leak)

Hi all, we had a fair bit of rain on Monday and as a result my passengers side carpet is like a swamp.

I have had a look arount tonight and discovered the windscreen trim is loose at the top passenger side, and there must be a hole in the sealant underneath, as it is pouring in.

I'm looking for opinions on what to do, either:

Take it to a windscreen place and get them to re-seal and refit the trim.

Or just remove the trim myself (looks in good condition) stick some silicone sealant around the screen to try and seal it, then refit the trim. Ok assuming if I took it to the windscreen place, it's only what they would do too!

Has anyone had experience refitting the trim? Do I need a special took?

Cheers

The trim is easy to remove and refit. The problem is though, that the screen may have been leaking for quite some time and as such, there could be a fair amount of rot underneath. The only real option imo, is to completely remove the screen to check, treat or repair the lip, then refit the screen.

Hi mate. Are you still local? There is a good windscreen guy called Rich. Runs advance windscreens. He did mine recently. He is really helpful if you need some advice.

take a look here first ,http://wiki.the-corrado.net/changing...over_seal.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161329044751

Yep, tried that first (rather hopefully as well). Then followed it up with checking for blocked gutters on the sunroof, and then drain holes in the doors. But were all ok!

Then I poured a jug of water on the top corner of the screen, and pretty much all of it ran down the inside of the window!

I have taped it up for now, and its a big improvement, also got rid of a lot of wind noise too!

Yes Jim, I am still pretty local, I'm down in Dunmow now. If you have a number for him, I will give him a shout. I know deep down it's probably best to get the screen taken out and checked for rust, but if i'm completely honest, I don't think I can stomach the costs and am tempted to just get some sealant and do it myself. I might have a good nosey round it tonight and see if I can see any traces of rust, from what I have seen so far, it looks like the original screen.

Like you say though, a bit of advice from a professional would be very beneficial!

Thanks guys!

Notoriously bad for rotting out in both top corners and that is likely your problem unfortunately if it's leaking so usually quite a job. Just had to weld and paint my frame but managed to get new screen fitted through insurance.