mimjed

odb2 wiring help

had a good search round and seen mentions of an odb2 guide, but cant seem to find it. any pointers in the right direction? all the old threads (archive) cant seem to be found any more.

basically i have a full late golf 2.8 vr6 set up; engine, loom, ecu etc. but i'm still on an odb1 fuse board. this seems to be where the issue lies, as the majority of the clocks don't function. I presume, i need to cut and splice some wires on the back of the board. car was originally a 95 2.0 16v.

engine is in, starts and drives, so is most of the way there. just getting on my tits now...

any help would be much appreciated.

the two 'authorities' on that are Science and Swiftkid - they've helped me extensively. In a nutshell you remove the redundant wiring from the loom and fit to your car. Its obviously not that simple as the loom needs to be stripped of old tape, wires identified and removed and the loom then rewrapped. As the shape is a bit different to the OBD1 loom refitting is slightly more involved.

The fuseboard shouldn't be an issue, although it may be worth checking the connectors on the 16v with that of the VR engine. There is a link somewhere - i'll post it up when i find it.

You Rang :D Well 2.0 will be CE2 so same fusebox as OBD1 and OBD2, as for the clocks what exactly isn't working? You shouldn't have needed to touch your G1/G2 plugs which have signals for clocks. Check your U1/U2 plugs, once the G1/G2 plugs are in, your U plugs take the signals to the clocks.

Also might be worth checking on mk2vr6 website, I'm betting you'll find your answers on there.

Also see below for links to OBD2 conversions. If any mods are reading this please either sticky or move the very detailed thread to WIKI page, seems an excellent knowledge base!

OBD2 Conversion thead, very detailed!!! - http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=87250

OBD2 Conversion thread (discussion thread) - http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=54148

Also have a look here for wiring diagrams, G3 dash is most relevant: https://drive.google.com/?ddrp=1#folders/0B_V9-6xfgGlINzhhM2IyNmItOWRhZS00MzBkLTk2MTEtNGIyZDFmMDg0NWM2

Also see below for links to OBD2 conversions. If any mods are reading this please either sticky or move the very detailed thread to WIKI page, seems an excellent knowledge base!

OBD2 Conversion thead, very detailed!!! - http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=87250

Thanks for the kind comments.

Be sure to have a look at my Fusebox loom comparison.pdf link.

As Swiftkid said, as multiple functions aren't working its likely to be one of the main plugs. Check your G2 plug(engine wont run without G1)and then your U1 and U2 plugs. These carry most of the information displayed on your clocks. Also check the black bar throught the fusebox is in the looked position.

If these are connected properly everything should work except your tach which will read high. For the tach you might want to change your clocks for VR6 ones, or see here; http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=88297

If you still have problems please list the functions which aren't working.

thank you for replies, will get these printed off at work today and have a good read through.

i have illumination, but nothing else as far as i can tell. only started on the dash rebuild last week. fired it up quickly but with the kid in bed it wasn't the ideal time.

should probably mention it was a 1.8t before the vr change.

not convinced the fan is working correctly either. have ordered a new fan switch to see if that makes any difference. but I've heard this is a common complaint with odb2 conversions.

well, been through what i can today. Tried VR6 clocks. Still no joy.

I have power to the clocks, so displays on both lcd screens. they will also light up when headlights are turned on. but that is it.

No MFA, rev counter, speedo, fuel gauge or water temp, no warning lights, no flashing lights with indicators (indicators do function). so all in all pretty much worthless clocks!

Is it possible to plug the U1/U2 plugs into the wrong sides? and also the coloured wires that come down with the white cables from the clock loom go nowhere, is this normal?

well after a lot of head scratching and swearing, my clocks are alive. changed to the mk3 d plugs to bring to life. haven't been able to check speedo function yet, but all other gauges working so touch wood its working.

only issues i now have are constantly flashing oil light and indicators don't flash on the clocks for both hazards and indicators. any clues which wires need swapping around?

indicators not flashing on clocks now resolved, for future reference;

you have to cut the connector off the 2 wires coming from the clocks, brown/white cable and green cable with black 2 pin connector.

brown/white cable needs to be spliced into A1-2 in back of fuse board.

green cable needs to be spliced into A2-4 in the back of the fuse board.

hate wiring diagrams with a passion.

anybody have the correct way round for the oil pressure sensors? (odb2) may be that they are connected up the wrong way round, have seen photos of them both ways round so unsure which is correct.

Nice one, think that should solve it, pretty sure my yellow wire goes to the right at the mo.